Forum Car Parking Proposals

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Forum Car Parking Proposals

• Author

Rondetto
    Participant

They’re tied to a 10 year lease, but M&S. Debenhams and Wallis all want out, so I guess when their leases are up you’ll see a mass exodus from Eagles Meadow.

Taffy
    Participant

@Rondetto 10779 wrote:

They’re tied to a 10 year lease, but M&S. Debenhams and Wallis all want out, so I guess when their leases are up you’ll see a mass exodus from Eagles Meadow.

How do you know this?

Rondetto
    Participant

Just listening to employees who seem to know their stuff.

Jonesy
    Participant

@Rondetto 10781 wrote:

I doubt any local level employee, even the store manager, would know about any strategic decisions such as store moves/closures/lease negotiations.

NJones
    Participant

I’ve heard the same- M&S want to move back into the town centre, but need a location with car access for store collection.

MP1953
    Participant

@Rondetto 10781 wrote:

Rumours usually happen! and it doesn’t take a brain surgeon to realize trade there is wanting to say the least, and a lot of it is connected to this topic of car parking, and of course the remoteness of EM as far as the older generation goes, who go to Chester on the bus because it ends up less walking…

Will Wrexham ever recover from so many poor decisions, and barriers like the car parking in EM making the situation even worse.. (Perhaps another topic!)

Alunh
    Participant

@MP1953 10787 wrote:

Rumours usually happen! and it doesn’t take a brain surgeon to realize trade there is wanting to say the least, and a lot of it is connected to this topic of car parking, and of course the remoteness of EM as far as the older generation goes, who go to Chester on the bus because it ends up less walking…

Will Wrexham ever recover from so many poor decisions, and barriers like the car parking in EM making the situation even worse.. (Perhaps another topic!)

There will always be rumours about this kind of thing…..and quite rightly. M & S pulled out of Rhyl recently and opened a brand new store in Prestatyn because they calculated that this would be in their interests to do. As mentioned, Car Parking was a major determinant in this (as indeed, it is in EM).

Businesses will constantly be reviewing what is in their interests and Foot-flow, Car Parking and basic Costs will be prime factors in their decisions. Even my dinky business has shuffled around Wrexham and North Wales over the years. My 1st offering was in the (then) lively Pen y Bryn, then a very small unit by the Bus station, then several other moves along the same street. Eventually, I arrived in the Market and then Bank Street. At all times, I have remained on the look out for somewhere ‘better’.

Looking at the number of bodies actually walking around Eagles Meadow as compared to the upper town it seems clear that it must be a mix of Lease commitment, Cost and Car Parking that keeps many businesses in that end of town. That said, I don’t really have any firm facts and can quite easily be refuted!!

BenjaminM
    Participant

The “man in the pub” certainly gets around, doesn’t he? Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

A good maxim to bear in mind?

MP1953
    Participant

@Alunh 10788 wrote:

There will always be rumours about this kind of thing…..and quite rightly. M & S pulled out of Rhyl recently and opened a brand new store in Prestatyn because they calculated that this would be in their interests to do. As mentioned, Car Parking was a major determinant in this (as indeed, it is in EM).

Businesses will constantly be reviewing what is in their interests and Foot-flow, Car Parking and basic Costs will be prime factors in their decisions. Even my dinky business has shuffled around Wrexham and North Wales over the years. My 1st offering was in the (then) lively Pen y Bryn, then a very small unit by the Bus station, then several other moves along the same street. Eventually, I arrived in the Market and then Bank Street. At all times, I have remained on the look out for somewhere ‘better’.

Looking at the number of bodies actually walking around Eagles Meadow as compared to the upper town it seems clear that it must be a mix of Lease commitment, Cost and Car Parking that keeps many businesses in that end of town. That said, I don’t really have any firm facts and can quite easily be refuted!!

Yes we go to Prestatyn and there is a FREE (take note Wrexham Council!) 3 hour car park right next to the new shopping center and close to the town, we have been going to Prestatyn on a regular basis over the years and the town has certainly picked up since this new initiative..

Alunh
    Participant

@BenjaminM 10789 wrote:

The “man in the pub” certainly gets around, doesn’t he? Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

A good maxim to bear in mind?[/QUOTE

Quite right about this. There is usually nothing more than what the “man in the pub” would like to see happen. Equally, businesses would do well to remember that it is an aggregation of these “men in the pub” that provide the customers for their trade

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham University proposes net zero solutions through local collaboration

News

Castle Green hands over Rhosrobin affordable homes to North Wales Housing Association

News

Police and Crime Commissioner election Q&A: Andy Dunbobbin – Labour and Co-operative Party candidate

News

Wrexham’s MP launches petition amid concerns over potential cuts to Metastatic Cancer Nurse role

News

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News