Development on the Cambrian Brewery site?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Development on the Cambrian Brewery site?

• Author

de ddwyrain
    Participant

What would you like to see built on the site of the old Cambrian Brewery?

According to the news article about plans to sell the land, a mixed use plan would be favoured, so hopefully it won’t just be some bland housing development. I suppose the worst thing would be some sort of high-rise development that overshadows St Giles. Presumably such a project would never get planning permission, but then again, what do I know?

If the site on the other side of Bridge street is going to be developed too, this will at least make some improvement to the Pen-y-Bryn area. My hope is that the new developments can somehow link Pen-y-Bryn to the town centre.

What kind of balance between housing, shops, leisure and offices would you like to see? What effect (if any) should the vicinity of the Gwenfro have on the development?

Born Acorn
    Participant

Probably unlikely since they’ll want to get their moneys worth from every square foot, but it’d be nice if they could open up the river on that side, and work that into the end development.

steveg
    Participant

Almost certainly bound to be “shops, bars and restaurants, offering X no. of new jobs”.

zinger
    Participant

I agree about the Gwenfro. Wrexham lacks a good water feature. A couple of trees & a piece of greenery in there would be nice too. The artwork on the fencing was a nice touch.

99DylanJones
    Participant

My top three prediaction-

1. Aldi
    2. Wales and West or Clwyd Alyn Housing (although would you want to live opposite the new drunks sobering up booths on the corner of St Giles Way)
    3. Travelodge

What I would like to see

1. Accommodation for Homeless in Wrexham
    2. Social Housing
    3. Multi purpose youth provision — accommodation and social centre

de ddwyrain
    Participant

Even if for whatever reason it would be impractical to open up the Gwenfro (I don’t know, people getting thrown in?), I wonder if there’s a way of still making the river visible from street level by building over the opening, but incorporating some sort of window into the building, like they do sometimes when they find the remains of old buildings below street level, or like for the Clerk’s Well in London?

I suppose it’ll never happen, but I’d quite like to see a little reminder that Wrexham has a river a bit closer to the Town Centre.

Realistically, I suppose something like Aldi or Travelodge is only too plausible. The only thing is that neither Aldi nor Travelodge would qualify as a multi-use site, so theoretically you’d need something else there as well (and there is other site over the road – the site of the King’s Arms, is that right?).

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

West End queen packs her running shoes for Llangollen Eisteddfod return!

News

Urgent calls for Welsh Water improvement amid environmental concerns

News

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News

70-year-old completes Wrexham 10k after overcoming mobility challenges

News

North Wales Police volunteers celebrated at awards ceremony

News

North Wales Police’s new Stalking Co-ordinator enhancing victim support

News