483 Chirk accidents

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum 483 Chirk accidents

• Author

Darlofan
    Participant

Now if the council/highways want to pay me £500k for this idea they can message me.

483 from jct1 to Gledrid roundabout is constantly closed/delayed because of accidents(some serious/fatal). I think anyone that regularly drives that road will have seem idiots making 3 lanes out of 2 because of its width. My suggestion would be and it took me years to come up with this hence the above cost. Put hatch markings down the centre strip a few metres wide then put solid white lines to stop overtaking. If they want to use money saved from accident recovery, repairs etc then stick some static cameras up to monitor it. Job done.

Also why after the latest accident was the road closed for so long while a temp barrier was installed. And a temp speed limit of 40 put in, according to my latest speed awareness course it is 30 along that stretch due to street lights!!So the limit has risen.

AMA Express
    Participant

[quote quote=97094]
    And a temp speed limit of 40 put in, according to my latest speed awareness course it is 30 along that stretch due to street lights!!So the limit has risen.

[/quote]

So, you’re saying then that all roads that have street lights are 30mph ? I think you should have paid a bit more attention at the Speed Awareness Course and you’ll have heard that it’s not JUST the presence of street lighting that determines a speed limit. Under normal circumstances that particular stretch of the A483 is limited to 50 mph.

Darlofan
    Participant

Oh I did there was quite a discussion on it and we were told that on single carriageways where national speed limit signs are in place if there are street lights it is 30. She also said it’s regardless of spacing of the lights that is a myth. Several roads in the area were mentioned including this one and she said they would be 30.

Bish
    Participant

[quote quote=97111]Oh I did there was quite a discussion on it and we were told that on single carriageways where national speed limit signs are in place if there are street lights it is 30. She also said it’s regardless of spacing of the lights that is a myth. Several roads in the area were mentioned including this one and she said they would be 30.

[/quote]
    She is wrong, that road is a 60 hence the black and white national speed limit signs ironically attached to the street lights.

cmaj76
    Participant

I’ve been on the speed awareness course and we were told that any road with regular street lighting has a default speed limit of 30 mph unless signs indicate otherwise.

Anyway on the subject of both bridges both should have solid white lines and the road narrowed either by central cross hatching or by widening the footpaths, in addition to no overtaking signage.

Alternatively a 40mph speed limit with speed cameras on both ends of the bridges.

dagg
    Participant

[quote quote=97113]I’ve been on the speed awareness course and we were told that any road with regular street lighting has a default speed limit of 30 mph unless signs indicate otherwise.

Anyway on the subject of both bridges both should have solid white lines and the road narrowed either by central cross hatching or by widening the footpaths, in addition to no overtaking signage.

Alternatively a 40mph speed limit with speed cameras on both ends of the bridges.

[/quote]

I have been on a course as well and was told the same thing.

Andy
    Participant

“we were told that on single carriageways where national speed limit signs are in place if there are street lights it is 30. She also said it’s regardless of spacing of the lights that is a myth”

Who on earth came up with this codswallop??? And they are training drivers!!!!! They should resign immediately.

Section 82(1)(a) (of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (RTRA 1984)

What roads are restricted roads.

(1) Subject to the provisions of this section and of section 84(3) of this Act, a road is a restricted road for the purposes of section 81 of this Act[F1if—

(a)in England and Wales, there is provided on it a system of street lighting furnished by means of lamps placed not more than 200 yards apart;

AMA Express
    Participant

Unfortunately the people that deliver these courses aren’t up to date with a lot of stuff. Much of the Powerpoint presentation was prepared years ago and hasn’t been updated to account for the raising of speed limits on A roads and dual carriageways for HGVs for instance.

I got into an argument with one of them, a retired driving instructor in his late 70s, who insisted that the speed limit on ALL UK motorways was 70 mph. Anyone who’s travelled a bit will know that there are several stretches of motorway around the UK where the limit is set at either 50 or 60 mph and is very clearly signposted as such.

dagg
    Participant

Legal definition[edit]
    In August 2006, the Department for Transport issued new guidance relating to speed limits. It states that:[1]

Section 82(1)(a) (of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (RTRA 1984)) defines a restricted road in England and Wales as a road which is provided with “a system of street lighting furnished by means of lamps placed not more than 200 yards apart”. Section 81 specifically makes it an offence for a person to drive a motor vehicle at a speed of more than 30 mph on a restricted road.

“Street lighting” is further defined as follows:

As set out in paragraph 45, it is generally recognised that a ‘system’ of street lighting could be three or more lamps spaced not more than 183 metres apart. However, street lighting (for the purposes of determining whether or not a road is a restricted) is not necessarily limited to street lamps, but may extend to lighting provided by authorities or parish councils.

To avoid confusion that could arise if some 30 mph zones were ‘street-lit’ and some were not, DfT guidance goes onto say:

Direction 11 of The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 (TSRGD 2002) defines the requirements for the placing of speed-limit repeater signs. This states that speed-limit repeater signs cannot be placed along a road on which there is carriageway lighting not more than 183 metres apart and which is subject to a 30 mph speed limit. The Department will not make exceptions to this rule.

This leads to the conclusion that:

This means it should be assumed that, unless an order has been made and the road is signed to the contrary, a 30 mph speed limit applies where there are three or more lamps throwing light on the carriageway and placed not more than 183 metres apart.

Doe’s make sense

jok
    Participant

It seems to me that the road in question will always attract idiot drivers due to the total width of the carriageways. Unfortunately I don’t have a perfect solution to the problem. It may have been possible to have three lanes, two in one direction and one in the other, with double white lines to enforce no overtaking from the single lane carriageway, but in which direction I wouldn’t like to say and then you get to the river bridge and find the carriageway is not wide enough for three lanes. How much do the people who design the roads get paid? In the case of the innocent victims of the Chirk accidents, if I had designed that particular stretch of road I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham’s MP launches petition amid concerns over potential cuts to Metastatic Cancer Nurse role

News

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News

North Wales MS supports call for national brain tumour strategy

News

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News