Over the weekend a number of wards at Wrexham Maelor Hospital have had to introduce restrictions on admissions after patients developed symptoms of diarrhoea and vomiting.
A number of cases had been reported in the coronary care unit last week, but over the weekend patients on a number of other wards began to display symptoms.
Four wards are now affected. Lister, Evington, Bedwyn and Mason ward are affected with partial blocks on Lister/Evington, with Lister and Evington partially open to new admissions.
So far testing has not detected any evidence of norovirus. However the nature of the outbreak suggests that it is caused by a viral infection which is circulating in the community and being unwittingly brought into hospital.
The Hospital is therefore asking visitors to help keep infections out of hospital (and to protect themselves and their patients) by taking the following steps:
- Do not come to hospital as a visitor if you have had symptoms of diarrhoea or vomiting (D&V) during the last 48 hours.
- If you are due to come as a patient and have had symptoms of D&V in the last 48 hours please telephone the ward or department for advice first.
- Follow the advice on signs and notices and from staff on areas where visiting is restricted.
- Always disinfect your hands when entering or leaving ward areas.
- There should be no more than two visitors per bed at any time.
- Please don’t bring young children visiting.
- Visitors should not sit on the beds.
Discuss this with fellow wrexhamites our Wrexham Forums. Other recent threads on the forums include:
Mold Road / A483 junction
Green Green Grass ......
Chester Rd ...Chaos ???
The Swan Pen y Bryn
Aldi for Rhostyllen?
Wrexham.- the holiday destination of choice.
A483 A55 Junction Changes Updates & Info Thread