In one of his last engagements as Mayor of Wrexham, Cllr John Pritchard visited Wrexham Salvation Army last week to hear all about the brand new employment service the church now provides.
The church at Garden Road, Wrexham, has become a base for The Salvation Army’s in-house service ‘Employment Plus’ to help anyone who wants to access the service in the town and surrounding areas.
A full time Employment Development Co-ordinator will offer expert help and advice to anyone who registers. Visitors can also have the use of four new laptops to search and apply for jobs and try out new e-learning software.
Karen Edwards, Community Coordinator for Wrexham Salvation Army said: “This church is such an important part of Wrexham’s community. It helps to improve the lives of so many people; from young families to older people. Now that we have Employment Plus here as well, it feels like we’re really on our way to offering a complete service to even more people.”
Employment Plus is available to everyone in Wrexham whether they are full-time employed, part-time employed, unemployed or retired. Anyone interested can register with The Salvation Army and get dedicated support.
The church and community centre also offers a range of other services for the local community; including a lunch club, parent and toddler group, a social group for men and women, a drop in for vulnerable people, a food bank and dementia friendly activities.
Wrexham Corps provides the following services to the local community:
· The Meeting Place – Monday, 11.30am to 1.30pm (social group)
· Foodbank – Monday, Wednesday & Friday, 3.00 to 4.15pm
· Little Feet – Wednesday, 10 to 11.30am (parent and toddlers)
· Lunch Club – Wednesday, 12.15 to 1.15pm
· Good Company – Wednesday 1.15 to 2.15pm
· Employment Plus – Tuesday and Thursday, 2 to 4pm
· Drop In – Thursday, 9.30 to 11.15am
· Community Care Hub – Friday, 9.30 to 11.30am
· Dementia Friendly Activities – Friday 2 to 4pm (alternative weeks)