A report released today on education shows that almost a quarter of schools in Wales have been deemed ‘unsatisfactory’.
The Estyn Report is released annually and focuses on the standards on schools across Wales.
In total inspections of 106 secondary schools across the region found that the teaching was ‘good or better’ in just over half of schools visited. However the proportion of teaching that is classed as ‘adequate or unsatisfactory’ increasing year on year.
Standards in Welsh primary schools have remained similar to last year’s results, with 72% of schools deemed as ‘being good or better’ and the remaining 28% deemed as adequate.
In secondary schools the annual report states that the level of unsatisfactory schools has increased from 14% to 23%.
Chief Inspector of schools in Wales, Ann Keane said: “We have been using the same framework in inspections over the last three years and I had hoped to see improvements in performance by now. It is disappointing that excellent schools remain in a small minority and that so many secondary schools are in need of follow-up inspections. Next year we shall be returning to over two-thirds of secondary schools and around half of primary schools to undertake follow-up visits.
“What schools and the post-16 sector need to improve is the quality of teaching, assessment, literacy and numeracy, self-evaluation and Welsh second language. I know that improvement is possible and that excellence is possible, as we have seen in the many case studies that are quoted in the annual report.”
“The pace of improvement needs to accelerate and leaders in schools need to keep pace with the best, both inside and outside Wales.” Chief Keane added,
In 2012 / 2013, nine schools in Wrexham were visited by Estyn, this included seven primary schools and two secondary schools.
Overall the primary schools that were inspected were largely found to be deemed ‘good’. Primary schools that were inspected in the last 12 months include All Saints Primary school, Ysgol Rhostyllen and St Anne’s Catholic Primary School.
The two secondary schools inspected by Esytn where Ysgol Clywedog and Ysgol Rhosnesni, who have both been placed under special measures. Inspectors found that the two schools were ‘unsatisfactory’ in both their overall performance and overall prospects.
Commenting on the Annual Report Aled Roberts, Welsh Liberal Democrat Shadow Minister for Education in the National Assembly, said: “Yet again, Estyn’s annual report is sombre reading. Last year’s report highlighted a number of failures in the system, but it also included examples of best practice so that all schools could work towards improvement. It appears that lessons are not being learned: standards in primary schools are very similar to last year, with very few being marked as “excellent” and around a half requiring follow-up visits.
“The proportion of secondary schools graded as “unsatisfactory” has almost doubled, with over two-thirds of secondary schools inspected last year requiring follow-up visits. Literacy and numeracy standards are still judged to be not good enough, and the wellbeing of youngsters in pupil referral units was graded as either “adequate” or “unsatisfactory” in over half of those inspected.
“The report highlights what a difference good teachers and sound leadership can make to a school, but also points out that there are not enough opportunities for heads or senior leaders to receive the training they need to improve their leadership skills and this is something I will be taking up with the Minister.”
More information can be found on the Estyn website here.
Discuss this with fellow wrexhamites our Wrexham Forums. Other recent threads on the forums include:
Egerton / King Street Regenaration
Famous People spotted in Wrexham
Patient treatment needs utmost priority
Memorial Hall Soul Night
Marks & Spencer
Wrexham Council Advertising Costs
Big Killer hits Wrexham