Wrexham.com for people living in or visiting the wrexham area

Early Morning Cooking Fire in Wrexham Sparks Safety Warning From Fire Service

NOTE: This content is old - Published: Thursday, Jul 13th, 2017.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service have issued a warning about the dangers of leaving cooking unattended following a fire at a property in Wrexham in the early hours of this morning.

Crews from Wrexham were called to the kitchen fire at a flat on Ffordd Gwilym, Acton at 4:21am.

The fire service say the blaze was caused by cooking left unattended – with one casualty given a precautionary check up at the scene for smoke inhalation.

A warning has now been issued by the fire service reminding people of the dangers and potential risks of leaving cooking unattended.

Jâmi Jennings, Community Safety Manager, said: “Time and time again we attend house fires which have started in the kitchen – it is so easy to forget your cooking, especially if you are tired, distracted or have been drinking. However, the consequences can be devastating.

“Our message is clear – never turn your back on your cooking, even for a minute. Leaving any cooking, but especially a chip pan, unattended for any length of time can have disastrous results. The oil in the chip pan can easily overheat and ignite – even the smallest distraction could lead to a fire in a matter of moments.

“Oven chips are safer as well as being healthier, but if you do choose to deep fat fry please don’t leave the pan unattended. If your chip pan does ignite, don’t throw water over it. Get out, stay out and call 999.

“Never tackle a fire yourself. Better still – throw away your old style chip pan altogether and use a thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer.

“Smoke alarms save lives. The early warning provided by a smoke alarm can provide vital minutes to help them escape unharmed. Ensure that you maintain your smoke alarm by testing it once a week.”

The following ‘top tips for safety in the kitchen’ has been issued by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service:

· If you leave the room take the cooking off the heat
· Don’t use matches or lighters to light gas cookers. Spark devices are safer
· Always make sure that any handles are turned away from the edge of the cooker
· Keep the over, hob and grill clean – a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
· Never hang anything to dry above the cooker
· Take care if you are wearing loose clothing as it can easily catch fire
· When you’ve finished cooking make sure everything is turned off
· Turn off electrical appliances when they are not being used
· Never use a chip pan – use a thermostatically controlled deep far fryer
· Never cook after drinking- get a takeaway instead
· Get fitted with smoke alarms – they are free of charge and could save your life.

Share this now: