A decision on the final stage plans for more than 360 homes in Llay will be made this week.
Planning committee members will once again debate the detailed reserved matters application for 362 homes on land at Home Farm on Gresford Road on Friday.
Outline plans for the site, which at the time consisted of up to 365 houses and a retail unit, had been rejected by members of the planning committee in October 2015 due to concerns that the development fell outside the settlement limit and would result in increased pressure on local infrastructure.
However an appeal by the applicants was lodged shortly afterwards and an inquiry into the the proposed took place in November 2016. The plans were granted last summer by First Minister Carwyn Jones after being recommended for approval by Planning Inspectorate Richard Duggan.
Earlier this month Wrexham.com reported that a decision on the reserved matters application for 362 homes on the Gresford Road site had been deferred until a site visit had taken place.
Committee members had been recommended by the council’s head of planning and environment to give the plans the go ahead. However several councillors argued that the reserved matters application hadn’t addressed traffic issues, pedestrian safety and play areas for children.
Cllr Rob Walsh, who previously spoke out against the plans for Home Farm, said that the appeal decision had caused a lot of “grief and heartache” and called for committee members to propose a site visit before making a final decision on the plans.
Speaking at the time, Cllr Walsh said: “My major concern is The Crown crossroads. I know the condition stipulates there will be plan to show improvements to cross roads.
“I think it would be unreasonable to approve this without knowing what the plans are. It is a very busy junction and desperate need of working being done. It is a shame the highways officer is not here for that reason.
“Once the plans are done it might work out perfectly. It might marry and complement the existing site but it might not. It will be too late then if already approved reserved matters.”
The meeting also saw concerns raised about land stability, with Dennis Owen, who spoke on behalf of Gresford Road Action Group, calling for alleged issues on the site to be revisited and addressed.
But the committee was told the land had been classed as low risk by the Coal Authority and that Wrexham Council had followed the correct procedures. Councillors were also reminded that planning permission for the site had already been approved and the committee members could only vote on the reserved matters application before them.
A final decision on the reserved matters application is expected to be made by committee members after the site visit on Friday 10th August. The meeting will take place at the Guildhall at 4pm and will also be webcast via the council’s website.