A local Councillor is attempting to ‘call in’ the decision to close Plas Madoc in an attempt to keep the leisure centre open.
Cllr David Taylor for the Cefn Ward has requested for Councillors to reconsider the decision to close Plas Madoc Leisure Centre, this is ahead of planned protests and a last ditch appeal for Councillors to veto the decision at a full council later this month.
Last Tuesday seven members of the Executive Board voted in favour of the closure of Plas Madoc, unless a social enterprise group can take over the facility.
Speaking to the Board last week, Cllr Mark Pritchard said: “We as an authority cannot keep subsidising a facility which costs when someone walks through the door. It is madness, we cannot continue to do that.”
However a ‘Call in’ for the Council to reconsider their decision and a separate attempt to not vote through the budget, part of which is formed by Plas Madoc at the Full Council meeting on February 26th are now underway.
Once the minutes from last minutes of last weeks meeting have been published and the Call In has been initiated, the Council will have seven days to start an appropriate scrutiny committee to review the decision.
In the Wrexham Council Constitution it states: “Any five non-Executive members may, by notice in writing to the Head of Corporate and Customer Services, not more than five working days after the date of publication of a decision of the Executive Board, or a Lead Member submit a notice to call–in any one or more of such decisions. The notice of call–in must set out the relevant decision(s) and reasons for concern and shall be signed by those five non- Executive members.
“The notice of call–in shall be referred to the most appropriate Scrutiny Committee which shall meet within 7 working days of the date of the Head of Corporate and Customer Services receiving the notice. During this time the decision may not be implemented.”
The five necessary signatures to ‘call in’ the decision of the Executive Board have been obtained, with Cllr Taylor, Cllr William Baldwin, Cllr John Pritchard, Cllr Ronnie Prince, Cllr Arfon Jones and Cllr Pat Jeffares all signing.
In a post on Facebook, Cllr Taylor said: “All signatures now obtained for call in the the Exec’s decision to the close the Leisure Centre. Awaiting publication of the minutes from the Exec meeting last week, (11 Feb) before we can submit.
“Are the Council playing political/stalling games with the publication of the minutes, bearing in mind a scrutiny committee has to be convened within 7 working days and full Council meets on 26th Feb, next week, in eight days time.”
An open meeting to keep the leisure centre will also be held at the Air Products Social Club on Thursday 21st February. More details about the event can be found on Facebook here.
Spotted something? Got a story? Send a Facebook Message | A direct message on Twitter | Email News@Wrexham.com