Wrexham Library Trust

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham Library Trust

• Author

steveg
    Participant
    Wrexham people may be aware that, as a cost-saving measure forced upon them by funding cuts from central governemt, the Council is considering transferring control of our libraries and museums to a not-for-profit trust.
    What they may NOT be aware of is that the Trusts under consideration are all based in South Wales. This will mean that these aspects of our Council services will be controlled by people who live a long way to the South.
    Wrexham has had a proud tradition of libraries and literacy since 1879. The old library building in Queen’s Square was built using a grant from the philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie.
    Losing control of our libraries would be a tragedy for Wrexham, compounded by the very real possibility that, once the Council takes stock of the savings being made, control by a South Wales based trust will probably remain a permanent arrangement. We may never have control of our libraries and museums again.
    If you, like me, feel this is a bad move for Wrexham, let your Councillor know how you feel and insist that he or she makes every effort to resist this move.

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

You need to be aware that the South Wales Trusts have not even been operating for 12 months yet — so no track record- would you want to pass such a vital service to such a new entity.

AMA Express
    Participant

I know that in England the North / South divide is generally regarded as being at Watford, but where is the North / South divide reckoned to be in Wales ? :unsure: 

johnhoppy
    Participant

[quote quote=79564] I know that in England the North / South divide is generally regarded as being at Watford, but where is the North / South divide reckoned to be in Wales ? :unsure:

[/quote]

Probably at Merthyr, but realistically at the M4 !!

Sheefag
    Participant

I’ve always found this North/South Welsh rivalry thing quite bizarre, my experience of South Wales is that it’s only a North Walian phenomenon.

Can anyone explain it to me?

Ieurhos
    Participant

I don’t think it matters where these trusts are because they are newly set up with plenty on their plates so I can’t see them taking on our libraries as well. As I understand it the museums (well THE MUSEUM, because they’ve already closed Bersham Heritage Centre and Minera) were not part of the plan. The present plan is to have an employee led trust to run the museum. There was supposed to be a consultation, but they’ve had a “soft consultation” whatever that means and nobody was interested. They are now paying consultants to tell them the best option.

They’ll probably try and set up a trust to run libaries as well and then a few years down the line when council amalgamation takes place it’ll all have to be done again. The main justification for outsourcing these services seems to be that they will have charity status and not pay rates. In that case won’t the Council actually have less money to spend? What’s the difference between that and tax avoidance?

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

Business rates don’t go direct to the Council as they are part of Central Government taxation. Wales then receives money through the Barnet Formula which in turn it distributes to Local Authorities.

The level of reduction from things like charity rate relief would be insignificant and not calculated by the establishment of a Trust.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News

North Wales MS supports call for national brain tumour strategy

News

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years