Wrexham council terminate tenancy for councillor

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wrexham council terminate tenancy for councillor

• Author

Arfon Jones
    Participant

Surprised wrexham.com haven’t published this story!!
    Plaid Wrecsam: Wrexham council terminate tenancy for councillor

WCBC
    Participant

Response from Wrexham Council below

“Councillor Gregory’s joint tenancy of came to an end when his former partner gave notice to terminate.

“In law, when a joint tenant gives notice it has the effect of ending the tenancy for both parties.

A decision has been made not to grant Councillor Gregory the tenancy of this three bedroom Council house. The council normally allocates such properties to applicants with children.

“Although we acknowledge that Councillor Gregory’s preference is to remain in the property, he was not given an assurance that he would automatically be granted the tenancy.

“When deciding whether to allocate a sole tenancy to the remaining partner, the Council will look at individual circumstances, including the composition of the household. Of the 78 cases granted a sole tenancy in the last 2 years, only one was to an applicant, in a three bedroom house, who did not have children residing with them on a permanent basis.

“In the meantime we are working with Councillor Gregory to find suitable alternative accommodation. The authority has met with Councillor Gregory and has agreed that he can remain at this property until such accommodation becomes available.

“Wrexham Council refutes any suggestion of discrimination and that his comments regarding Wrexham’s Mayor have had any bearing on this decision. Councillor Gregory has been treated with courtesy and respect at all times.”

Arfon Jones
    Participant

9-minutes to respond, very good indeed WCBC.

wxm
    Participant

It is very difficult to comment in a public forum about an individual case. However, reading these forums shows there is a balanced and well represented cross section of the community, and they should surely therefore be taken very seriously … there are of course quite outspoken moments, and polarised differences of opinion … but fundamentally contributors strongly believe in Wrexham, and reflect the view of the many in the community.

The lack of engagement by Wrexham Council, sometimes referred to as Stalinist … is not healthy for a democracy in this era. The lack of a forthcoming administration, and the fact that very many valid issues raised in this forum have not been dealt with in a timely manner, that the use of “confidential” public meetings is the scorn of society, is an indictment that things need to change. Why does WCBC set up an account on this forum, not use it (4 posts), and then respond to a complaint within the hour. Why does the Council not come out and talk about the state of the whole economy, pursue a course of growing the earnings and well-being for each person, rather than repeatedly promoting cuts.

Wrexham has to change, and that must start with engagement in a timely manner … and with a respect that is empathetic and supportive of those in need. If threats and intimidation are the attempted rule of law … it is time to bring in the Ombudsman, but you would hope first that those who bear the responsibility for governing a county that could be considered to be receding in so many areas … would step up to the plate, and bring about change.

Rob
    Participant

@Arfon Jones 10618 wrote:

Surprised wrexham.com haven’t published this story!!
    Plaid Wrecsam: Wrexham council terminate tenancy for councillor

We had asked Wrexham Council for comment this afternoon- and not published as doing a planning meeting :)

The Councils response though is above as it was sent to us earlier so guess its a generic comment to no doubt several queries asking similar things.

9 mins response time is impressive – and I am sure someone will bump a bin related query that is unanswered on here ;)

MP1953
    Participant

Very well said wxm … I and probably everyone else who posts and looks on here would agree with everything you say … “9 minutes to reply” :rolleyes:

lazyjack
    Participant

Perhaps WCBC would like to comment on the ‘rumoured’ HALF A MILLION POUNDS spent on some useless car park information signs.

Bet they don’t.

wrexview
    Participant

9 minutes for a reply from WCBC! I have been waiting almost 9 weeks for a reply to my question, ” Is it acceptable to wrap food in newspaper an place it in the green bin?”

BenjaminM
    Participant

Having read both versions of events ie Plaid Wrexham and WCBS’s, it is apparent that both versions of events are diametrically opposed – my guess is that the truth lies somewhere in between, but my interpretation would be towards the version provided by WCBC.
    As for political motivation, I do not believe that, because of Cllr. Gregory’s stance on the position of the Mayor, he has become the subject of a witch hunt. Political motivation would tend to fit more comfortably with the line being taken by Plaid Wrexham and in particular, one of its’ County Councillors.
    Plaid lost at least two of its’ Councillors at the last election and is now, in my opinion, trying to assert its’ viewpoint to generate public opposition to a duly elected Council.
    I obviously do not know the full details of the case, no more it would appear, than any other contributor to this discussion, but it does strike me as odd that accommodation was conveniently found for his estranged partner, at what would appear to be short notice, when some people remain on the waiting list for years. Perhaps there was political intervention there? I couldn’t answer that one!
    Mark my words, there is more to this than we are being led to believe and I await the next instalment with bated breath. Perhaps then we will know where the truth of the matter really lies.

Arfon Jones
    Participant

When the case goes to court or when the Ombudsman decides! At least we are having a debate about it which is more than what we were having before I posted the blog.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News