Williams report recommends Wrexham merge with Flinsthire council

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Williams report recommends Wrexham merge with Flinsthire council

• Author

Alunh
    Participant

Is that why my address is still listed as Mercia?

Jonesy
    Participant

I think I have seen that the report states that County Councils should be aligned with Police and Health areas. Could be looking at a “super” whole of North Wales County – this was in fact proposed in the 1960s review that lead to Clwyd – “Gwynedd” would have been the whole of North Wales, but it was opposed as it was thought it would be to large – but if economies of scale are now needed? ……

Liam
    Participant

Hmm, Wrexham Council not in favour of a voluntary merger apparently. Methinks they might not have a choice in the matter if they’re not careful.

DR
    Participant

Should be an interesting Full Council Meeting next week – new leader announced, councillors not in favour of voluntary merger.

Am I right in thinking this is the first Full Council meeting to be broadcast live as well?

Liam
    Participant

I’m going to take the day off work and buy some popcorn so I can settle down and watch it. I’m thinking it’s going to be like a WWE pay-per-view. Hope they don’t disappoint.

99DylanJones
    Participant

If we had the open air cinema on the top of the People’s Market we could all bring pop and crisps and bemoan how Wrexham and it’s so called Leadership are taking us forward through one of the biggest black holes ever seen in Local Governmental history.
    I would not be surprised if they have now read the Williams rerport that if the merger went through there would be a reduction of aprox 65 Council Members across the two Counties. So surprise surprise this is not about the best for Wrexham but how do we keep our seats as long as possible. On the back of today report about Wrexham being so low down in the recover tables how can these Councilors maintain their positions when they have totally failed the area over the past few years. This really is putting Self before the people!!

Born Acorn
    Participant

If they merged, wouldn’t the council be moved to Mold, since that’s the historical county town?

What would be left here if they moved? At least with Clwyd we still had WMBC with separate responsibilities. But if FCC and WCBC merged, would the new entity spread expenditure equally?

99DylanJones
    Participant

Not sure the assumption that everything would move to Mold if there was a merger– their Shire Hall currently has a limited life and many of the staff there are being moved or offered ‘agile working’ – ie working from home in order to facilitate demolition of sections.
    If a modern technological approach is adopted the location of many staff is immaterial – the crucial point is to ensure there is suitable public access points to information and support.
    As both counties are reducing the overall number of staff employed then there clearly the amount of office space through hot desking etc will be greatly reduced.

wrexview
    Participant

Will the level of financial cuts that both County Councils face force a merger?

99DylanJones
    Participant

There is actually a reverse scenario in that the level of cuts if merger took place may not be as great as WG are issuing guidance on the level of incentive payments that will make to a new Council.
    Interesting that Clr Rogers has held out about making a statement about Wrexham not wanting to join Flintshire until after his defection from the Labour Party- wonder how long he would have kept this up before towing the WG Party line. His current stance is more to do with not wanting to be seen to be aligned with WG . How can he say that the majority pf Councilor don’t want to join– they have not even had a debate and certainly not asked the opinions of the electorate. At least Scottish electorate had the chance to determine their future why can the electorate of Wales at a local level.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News