WCBC Budget Cuts – Kerbcraft

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum WCBC Budget Cuts – Kerbcraft

• Author

thewayneinspain
    Participant

remember the annual budget for kerbkraft is almost one six-thousandth of the total wxm council annual budget.

and a third of what the council will spend on ipads for its councillors.

What is more important councillors playing angry birds on an iPad when they have been given a free laptop to do that anyway or a child’s life?

MAGgy
    Participant

Safety is a priority but could it not be included on the school curriculum.
    Personally I taught my own children before they went to school.

prioritising is always tricky but some services HAVE to be delivered while others are desired

Alunh
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 4076 wrote:

remember the annual budget for kerbkraft is almost one six-thousandth of the total wxm council annual budget.

and a third of what the council will spend on ipads for its councillors.

What is more important councillors playing angry birds on an iPad when they have been given a free laptop to do that anyway or a child’s life?

Classic propaganda approach (which I must confess to using myself). This debate isn’t about saving a child’s life per se, because otherwise it could be argued that a failure to quadruple the budget might sacrifice another child. The crux of the argument is about whether this scheme is the best use of scarce resources, and, indeed, another scheme might be preferable, putting it in a higher priority bracket within the schools, getting parents to do the same or putting Volunteers into gear.

Framing the response as some form of moral blackmail doesn’t move the discussion on and reminds me of the current Obama-Sequester line.

That said, I actually tend to agree with you

lazyjack
    Participant

I think everyone appreciates that cut backs are necessary to a certain extent but I believe it is very much overplayed, it’s become a standard line now to try and justify any services that are reduced.

When you see some of the money thrown around by the council (Stansty one-way trial, iPads for councillors) you really start to wonder what sort of system they have for prioritising their spending.

The obvious way of making reductions to spending is by starting with the highest expenditure. I can’t believe the cost of Kerbcraft is very high up on that list.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Alunh;4081 wrote:
    Classic propaganda approach (which I must confess to using myself). This debate isn’t about saving a child’s life per se, because otherwise it could be argued that a failure to quadruple the budget might sacrifice another child. The crux of the argument is about whether this scheme is the best use of scarce resources, and, indeed, another scheme might be preferable, putting it in a higher priority bracket within the schools, getting parents to do the same or putting Volunteers into gear.

Framing the response as some form of moral blackmail doesn’t move the discussion on and reminds me of the current Obama-Sequester line.

That said, I actually tend to agree with you

for me it is. I genuinely believe that the child car accident rate would have gone up within two years and would have continued to go up for years and years afterwards.

Taking it from a cuts, benefits and public finances perspective.

The smoking fatality rate has gone down in every nation that has banned smoking in pubs and public enclosed places. Which in turn will lead to less of burden of the NHS thereby good for austerity .

Extra child accidents will be cost more to the local economy’s public services than this project.

Using the term ‘moral blackmail’: i for one think that is semantics in itself a way to set the agenda and is emotive language in it itself

But sometimes if the issue concerns the future health of locals there is no choice but to use terms connected with health.

Good debate by the way.

michellecook
    Participant

@MAGgy 4079 wrote:

Safety is a priority but could it not be included on the school curriculum.
    Personally I taught my own children before they went to school.

prioritising is always tricky but some services HAVE to be delivered while others are desired

With regards to including in the school curriculum, there are a few concerns

• Would it be classroom based?
      Kerbcraft only works out and about, you can’t simulate traffic indoors, every walk is different
    • Who is going to train the teachers?
      Its not simply a case of teaching the pupils to look right and left
    • What about safety checks?
      All volunteers are CRB checked and strict safety protocols are adhered to.

Is asking the council for £10,000 really that unreasonable?

michellecook
    Participant

A few comments from the online petition I am running.

As a parent whose oldest son was run down outside his school by a taxi driver droppin off feel had kerbcraft been running he would have been more observant of the cars.My next 2 sons have both recieved kerbcraft and have benefited from it.I have another 2 sons to go threw it so it would be sad to see it go.

This scheme really taught my children to cross the roads safely as they listened more than they do to their parents. I was knocked over by a car at the age of 12 and this would not of happened if I had been on a scheme like this. Please keep the funds to keep the children safe

Having had involvement with Kerbcraft as a teacher and a parent, I cannot speak highly enough of the team who provide Kerbcraft training. Road safety skills are a vital part of teaching for our young children and it is disappointing to hear that funding may be cut resulting in fewer children accessing this excellent scheme. How do Wrexham Council envisage they will ‘select’ those to receive training? ALL children are entitled to learn about the skills required to keep them safe on the roads.

All at St Marys are saddened that not only have we lost this excellent facility for the safety of pupils but that the skills of the staff are going to be lost too.These are the things that pupis need. It is a balance between giving these children independence and keeping them safe. This is an excellent project to do just this.IAll at St Mary’s hope those respnsible for the cuts will reconsider.

michellecook
    Participant

NOT A HAPPY BUNNY:mad:

Despite all the assurances from Wrexham Council at the meeting the other night, earlier today the member of staff involved in the Kerbcraft scheme lost their appeal.

MAGgy
    Participant

Is Kerbcraft continuing with the one member of staff and volunteers or it that it finished?

michellecook
    Participant

@MAGgy 4103 wrote:

Is Kerbcraft continuing with the one member of staff and volunteers or it that it finished?

We will carry on as best we can, however makes a mockery of the councils assurances it will “carry on in its current form for 12 months”

The council would probably be happier if we threw in the towel :rolleyes:

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News