WCBC Budget Cuts – Kerbcraft

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum WCBC Budget Cuts – Kerbcraft

• Author

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Alunh;4024 wrote:
    I find these sort of issues really difficult. Years ago, there would have been no need for Kerbcraft or anything like it. This was a job performed by Mums and/or Dads and cost the tax payer nothing. The same logic as this scheme applies to school breakfasts where Mums did the job.

Society has obviously changed and many of these core tasks have been taken on board by the state. The state has now run out of money. Local and national governments are now scrambling around for cash. Voila.

Unfortunately, the debate has to be how best to allocate scarce resources, where is the need greatest and which things should now be passed back to the individual and the family.

I suspect that however local Councillors play this issue, they are on a sticky wicket.

I certainly believe people should take more responsibility.. People should be lobbying their councillors and forming pressure groups rather complaining and doing nothing about local issues.

E.g. Every one complains about roadworks in Feb through to March, yet the same councillors are still in charge. Why are they still in power? because everyone just moans but nobody does anything about it.

I’m athe wrong side of 40 and as far as i remember the state has always done this…

And for me this is what the public should be doing; Parents should be setting themselves as an example for kids by standing up for what they believe in.

On the subject of the state..

I certainly remember twice both in borras park juniors and infants someone coming in and teaching us the green cross code.

there was also all these…
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSSIn55f6ow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4g7Z4jXgpQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kim4DWPSd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Ry9tiz9_c

how much is a child’s life worth protecting? less than a few thousand a month according to wxm council.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I agree that parents have to take some responsibility for their childrens safety on the roads. Unfortunately some parents are clueless in this respect and the services the council has set up are ensuring children have the skills to be able to negotiate our every busy roads successfully. I taught my son to cross the road as my parents taught me and still tell him to look both ways before crossing the road. He is over 30 so it has worked well !

Alunh
    Participant

Quite agree that this sort of stuff needs to be very much at the top of the pile when it comes to resourcing. Trouble is that we all hear the same arguments churned out about all areas of cuts from Remploy to whatever.

I suppose that we are all Nimbys on these issues

michellecook
    Participant

Many parents do teach their children basic road safety skills, and so they should. I have 3 boys, 17, 12 and 10, all of which are on the autistic spectrum and middle boy also has ADHD. I’ve always taught them about road safety, younger 2 also did Kerbcraft. The eldest missed out as scheme wasn’t running then, so he did the next best thing, last September, on his afternoon off from college he became a volunteer.

Kerbcraft takes the basic skills a step or two further. Of course we go into the basic Look right, left and right again, then we look at the cars and teach the children how to assess the dangers. What do all the lights at the back of the car mean? Is it safe to cross here, why or why not? If not, where would be better etc. We also learn about junctions and crossing between parked cars. Many adults probably wouldn’t even stop to think about it, its just something they do automatically. There is also the fact that the children seem to listen more to someone else than they do their parents, a comment that we hear over and over again. If you look at the comments on the ipetition we have, you can see what a difference this scheme makes.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Alunh;4033 wrote:
    Quite agree that this sort of stuff needs to be very much at the top of the pile when it comes to resourcing. Trouble is that we all hear the same arguments churned out about all areas of cuts from Remploy to whatever.

I suppose that we are all Nimbys on these issues

very rarely do we have an argument like this one were lives can be pre-emptively saved through preventative action.

For me this is just as important as gritting the roads.

The Nimby argument is not valid. I have never ever heard someone say ‘what teach children road safety? not in my backyard.’ I never will.

To be honest the NIMBY argument fails on most things… it’s usually just an excuse when politicians, bureaucrats or big corporations don’t get their way.

Rob
    Participant

Cllr Arfon Jones is tweeting saying the independents won the day – “Another great victory by the Wrexham Independent Group last night forcing the Labour coalition of @wrexhamcbc to continue funding Kerbcraft”

michellecook
    Participant

Thanks Rob, I did receive a call last night to say there was a very heated exchange between some council members but the news is very positive. Need to ensure the member of staff is now able to keep their job before we celebrate.

MAGgy
    Participant

Cut backs are being made everywhere and whilst I agree that teaching children road safety is important it is something that should be taught by parents and possibly teachers.
    How many work in the department? How many volunteers are there, could they increase the number of volunteers, could parents get involved?
    The budgets aren’t there anymore so services have to be prioritised and provided in a more efficient way

michellecook
    Participant

@MAGgy 4071 wrote:

Cut backs are being made everywhere and whilst I agree that teaching children road safety is important it is something that should be taught by parents and possibly teachers.
    How many work in the department? How many volunteers are there, could they increase the number of volunteers, could parents get involved?
    The budgets aren’t there anymore so services have to be prioritised and provided in a more efficient way

2 members of staff (1 of which is due to be made redundant) and 150 volunteers in total. I volunteer at 6 schools as do a number of other people. Half of the problem is getting people to volunteer, parents are always welcome and encouraged to get involved.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@MAGgy 4071 wrote:

all for prioritisation.

What would you prioritise over preventative action on child safety?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News