Wales moves to become the first UK country to ban smacking

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Wales moves to become the first UK country to ban smacking

• Author

Councillor X
    Participant

As the old adage goes “spare the rod, spoil the child”

It is no wonder the country is like it is. A smacked bum for misbehaviour teaches a child right from wrong. Reasoning with a disorderly child who has run into the road or has stuck a firework up a cat’s behind (really!) does not work.

I can remember coming home with ripped trousers because i had been playing in the scrap yard where i knew i was not allowed to go. I got a good hiding and was sent to bed. I never did it again.

I see too many parents in supermarkets with no control over their children who are allowed to topple over displays without being rebuked or cry and cry until they get a choclate snack or a toy.

Will we get to the stage where children take their parents to court and what about historic abuse?

Banning caning or slippering in schools was a massive mistake and now they want to take away all physical threats.

JP
    Participant

Buggering kids in care, was always illegal.

Social services in this neck of the woods seemed to miss that though, along with the odd copper.

Bryn6
    Participant

There is no need for a grown adult to physically strike a child. What kind of parent would want to do that. Smacking a child is a demonstration of woeful parenting skills.

Matt
    Participant

Councillor, I feel like a lot of this post is designed in a certain way to flare the usual debate up.

However, I regret to inform you that the Jimmy Savile handbook on raising your child was removed from popular parenting some time ago. Something about a Yew Tree.
    [quote quote=165735]A smacked bum for misbehaviour teaches a child right from wrong
    [/quote]

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=165749]There is no need for a grown adult to physically strike a child. What kind of parent would want to do that. Smacking a child is a demonstration of woeful parenting skills.[/quote]

Spot on. The laws don’t match up with the 21st century. If anyone saw anyone physically disciplining an animal (I’ve seen the viral videos) they’d be sending an RSPCA Swat Team in ASAP followed by an angry mob with burning torches.

Equally, it is unacceptable in law to hit another adult or to hit children that aren’t your own. You start smacking other people’s kids then you end up in jail and get deemed a threat to children and risk having your own children taken away by social services.

By implying that any kids you are a parent of don’t have the same protective rights as adults or other children not in your care almost implies a perverse ownership over the children that allows you to smack them as you see fit. That almost goes back to slave owners who were allowed to issue corporal punishment against their own slaves when they were unruly.

If people want to smack their kids so badly then perhaps they should be permitted on the strict enforcement that any time they mess up as a parent a Big Burly individual is allowed to come and smack the sh*t out of them. Only fair right?

The law protects child abusers from receiving physical retribution from vigilantes if caught out but the law doesn’t protect those abusers from constantly harming their children in the ‘safety’ of their own homes.

Councillor X
    Participant

I can see the logic behind all your thoughts and have come down with my doc martin firmly in Matt’s camp. I am going out with his vigilante mob tonight and going to string up a few bad parents from lamp posts.

While we are out we can report any street lights not working.

Matt
    Participant

Doc Martin

Matt
    Participant

——–STOP THE PRESS———
    ANGRY PARENTS TO TAKE THEIR CHILDREN TO CHESTER TO CHASTISE THEM

Councillor X
    Participant

Thanks Matt, that made my day.

Even Mrs X spat out her sweet sherry (pint of) when she saw that and wants to join “Matt’s Posse”

janeywxm
    Participant

Nothing big or clever about striking out at a child. There are plenty of other ways to get
    a message across than using any degree of violence.

I wouldn’t hit my dog, I wouldn’t hit a child.

Anyone who needs to resort to smacking their own child needs to think hard about why they became a parent into the first place!

Janey

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

County Lines drug dealers targeted as part of major police operation

News

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News