Vibrant and Viable Places regeneration funding

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Vibrant and Viable Places regeneration funding

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

How can the Council have a plan to revitalize an area without speaking with householders or business owners.
    The lack of communication surely will see a major failing in the plans– the funding they have received needs match , who is it going to be from, is this decided already if so where is the transparency.

Adam
    Participant

Better breakdown (as well a bit of history behind the bid) link below:

link

locallad
    Participant

Wrexham Circus Ooops i mean council will need this £10 million pound just to clean the town up.Its getting a real old Dirty Town.

wxm
    Participant

The reality is:

The GVA / GDP for Wrexham per head as a percentage of UK average in 1997 was 99.4% … in 2011 was 85.4% … a drop of 14%

If we produce £10bn a year, we’re missing £1,400,000,000 out of the economy.

£10,000 per head of population in the County.

That would pay for so much.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Adam thanks for reference to the Council report- the date was March and still no contact with businesses in the town so I stand by my comment about no engagement or formation of a Partnership.

SimonRP
    Participant

I’ve not posted on these forums before, but have been reading here for a while.

I feel that there is an exciting opportunity to make noticable, sustainable, improvements to the town to improve the future of Wrexham. I guess the questions I have are:

(i) A planning officer is being appointed to head up creation of Town Centre Masterplan; interviews were to be 16/06 – has anyone been appointed yet?

(ii) What percentage of the funding is to be allocated to the town centre, as this funding is also to improve the housing position (amongst other remits)?

(iii) The project team will consist of a ‘Senior Business Support Officer’ and 6 ‘Business Support Officers’, according to the WCBC job spec. Are these already employees of WCBC or will they be recruited? Will they be owners/operators of local SMEs, or will they be the voice for them?

I don’t know if anyone here has answers to these questions, or if I should be directing them to Steve Bailey as Head of Economic Development, or Nicola Corbishley as Planning Policy Manager?

99DylanJones
    Participant

If this program is not ready to be shared fully with the public how come a developer has already been allocated funding for older peoples homes in Grosvenor Road — reported in the Leader 26th June. I wonder how many developers were approached before the one selected was chosen. It really does make you wonder why the Council think they are the only ones that know what the community want– what about residents

wrexview
    Participant

That redevelopment is on the site of the Council’s old Housing Department in Grosvenor Road.

wxm
    Participant

@SimonRP 13709 wrote:

?..

I feel that there is an exciting opportunity to make noticable, sustainable, improvements to the town to improve the future of Wrexham. I guess the questions I have are:

These questions are desperately needed. However, a number of key plans were heavily invested in from about 1997 to 2003, along with mechanisms to measure economic outputs and performance. It takes a generation to change an area, especially when other areas in the immediate vicinity are out performing it by a good margin. As well as these questions being answered, concise data is needed to show the investment made as a result of the plans we’ve been working to, and learn what outputs have been achieved, to move forward. Scrapping what has been done, and starting again, throws away the investment to date in time, resource and money. It also puts competitors, localities in close proximity such as Wirral, Cheshire, Flintshire …in a stronger position.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Wrexview- simple question–
    Is the Vibrant and Viable programme for the benefit of the whole town — if so how come the first development that comes out the main beneficiary is the Council for the sale of their own land .. Where is the evidence that older people want to live in an isolated spot with no shop, social amenities, bus route, etc. The creation of isolated older peoples housing is just going to generate an older people ghetto!!
    Where is the thought for inter-generation housing which have been built in other parts of the country with a great deal of success. This project needs looking at very crossly if it is going to benefit older people.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News