The Empty Shops Of Regent Street

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum The Empty Shops Of Regent Street

• Author

Philip Osborne
    Participant

I find a lot of people blame the out-of-town retail parks for the death of the High Street … and in some towns, I can see how that can be the case.

However, in Wrexham, I think the positioning of the retail parks, in relation to the bus station, the Eagles Meadow development and the other large supermarkets, means that people who are out for an afternoon shopping HAVE to walk through town to get from one to the other.

In my experience, Regent Street, Church Street and Lord Street always seem busy and relatively crowded as people walk from the bus station to Eagles Meadow, or from Island Green to Tesco … apart from where Sainsburys and B&Q are, the other retail parks are not really “out of town”, they’re right in town, arranged in a ring, so that to visit them you are forced to pass through the centre of town. I actually think that, for once, that is a good bit of planning … it means there is heavy footfall on all the streets of the town centre.

So why are so many shops closing? The simple answer is, I don’t know! But I think it’s defeatist to just blame it on the retail parks as if there’s nothing we can do about it. The streets are busy! The people are there! The retail parks haven’t taken everybody away from town, they’ve kept them in town!

So what we need to be asking is what the real reasons for the other shops closing is? Are the rates too high? Are the retail parks offering incentives that the high street units aren’t? Is there something the council can do to match the appeal of the other big operators?

tremault
    Participant

it seems to me though, the retail parks are the destination, the middle of town is the journey.

the major chains move to the retail parks because of floor space and storage and air conditioning etc.
    as those businesses move out of the high street, the shops are left vacant and the people who used to visit are now aiming for the retail park.
    going into shops on the way there, is an unnecessary stop on the way to the destination. the more stops that are made, the more shopping they miss out on.
    in order to make the high streets a destination again, they need to have a draw.
    that used to be major chains but now it has to be something else. any shop that opens on regent street or hope street that does what a major chain does in eagles meadow, is going to struggle. shops opening on these streets need a target demographic that is completely different to what it used to be.
    considering that targeting a totally different demographic could be risky, the rates need to be looked at. that’s just for starters.

wrexview
    Participant

New Look are to close 100 shops nationwide, I hope the Wrexham shop is not one of them, their shop is one of the biggest in town , in the old Littlewoods store. Fingers crossed!

tremault
    Participant

I took some photos of what I believe to be the backbone of hope street.
    I realise this topic is about empty shops on regents street but i can’t think of any empty shops on regent street but i can think of lots of empty shops on hope street…..

these shops, I believe to be the strongest shops that could be used as a starting point to think about what new businesses could open on this street.

hope st backbone – a set on Flickr

alexio1982
    Participant

Has anyone been to chirk car boot recently and seen how busy it is and how much money is changing hands. There is a definite need for stalls and the like and maybe a side section for car boot items. Call me silly but it could be worth a shot.it would bring the footfall as proven in every car boot crammed carpark. As for a location well there is probably no better place than the field right outside the council buildings. Access all round, large area. They hold a few things on there so why not. Would also bridge both parts of town

alexio1982
    Participant

As a previous blogger wrote we need to remove pound shops to improve our image. They still pay tax and tax on millions of one pound coins is better than no tax on a non existent image. We have to face facts. We are not like Chester nor can compete with them. We just have to give the customers a different reason to come to Wrexham and there are a lot of people willing to come to Wrexham if its Cheaper. Its all money.

wrexview
    Participant

Julian Graves another national chain have been placed into administration today. So another shop in the town with a question mark over its future.

Liam
    Participant

Mad House is shutting on Sunday.

NJones
    Participant

@alexio1982 1410 wrote:

As for a location well there is probably no better place than the field right outside the council buildings.

Chief exec would not allow it as it would be unsightly for them! They banned ball games and are hoping to move the bandstand!

JonnyP
    Participant

The store (The Outlet) that is currently in the old Boots store also now has closing down posters displayed. Yet another large store going back to being empty :(

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News