Stansty bridge

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Stansty bridge

• Author

Rondetto
    Participant

I don’t think that would happen.

keveljay
    Participant

Many times oncoming traffic has nearly hit me coming the other way under the bridge, basically because so many people have NO IDEA how to judge the width of their vehicle. This is borne out in regular road use when you see cars overtaking push bikes etc and nearly having a head-on with cars coming the other way simply because they can’t judge their vehicle width and are over cautious. I always fold my mirrors in going through there, but I’m lucky cos it’s the first car I’ve had with this feature and its a mirror saver. I’ve nearly been forced into the wall several times by the aforementioned, and regularly have to stop, half-expecting a bang at any second, when you could get a horse down the other side of their vehicle :eek:

NJones
    Participant

@Taffy 7676 wrote:

Traffic lights are not the answer. Red lights will see traffic backing up on to the main road by the Walnut pub.

And that’s one location in Wrexham where a roundabout might actually work better.

Chris
    Participant

For those who have not driven anything bigger than a car under the bridge, there are several large stones protruding at around 9 feet. Hence the need to stay further away from the wall in a van than in a car.
    I mainly use the bridge traveling on the other direction though and always give way to the traffic using or queuing up to use the bridge.(because I know the chances are I will have to wait by the junction) i won’t sit there and let cars though who arrive after I’ve previously given way as it should be give and take. When I do go through i cross over the centre of the road as otherwise you get poor car drivers who think they can squeeze past and get aggrieved when they have to get tight to the wall.

Metalhead
    Participant

@Chris 7694 wrote:

For those who have not driven anything bigger than a car under the bridge, there are several large stones protruding at around 9 feet. Hence the need to stay further away from the wall in a van than in a car.
    I mainly use the bridge traveling on the other direction though and always give way to the traffic using or queuing up to use the bridge.(because I know the chances are I will have to wait by the junction) i won’t sit there and let cars though who arrive after I’ve previously given way as it should be give and take. When I do go through i cross over the centre of the road as otherwise you get poor car drivers who think they can squeeze past and get aggrieved when they have to get tight to the wall.

So in effect are you agreeing with those of us who state that the bridge is too narrow and needs modifying? (I have driven a vehicle larger than a car through there on occasions BTW).

Rondetto
    Participant

That’s the problem in a nutshell, large vehicles are using the bridge these days more frequent because of the retailers in that area. Yes, they do need more room and yes there are parts of the wall that protrude. It’s so easy to get ever nearer to the wall in a squeeze, many times smashing the wing mirror. I see broken glass there quite often. Probably many more incidents go unreported.

lazyjack
    Participant

That stretch of road is just not fit for purpose in 2013. Vehicles these days are generally bigger than 20-30 years ago too. Think how many 4×4 and people carriers there are on the road nowadays.

It’s a problem because the road is just so popular and the one way trial proved to be a disaster. The only long term solution must be to build a footbridge over the railway and remove the existing walkway to make the road the width it used to be. The problem is how do we cater for wheelchair users ?

zinger
    Participant

Are wheelchairs a new phenomenon? How do they cross the Llanypwll Link Road? A BIG SIGN that can’t be missed, Give Way to vehicles already using the bridge would make sense. Or a BIG ONE saying Give Way to traffic coming from town direction. It wouldn’t make a difference to those of us who do this as a courtesy but it might make others think. You will always get idiots.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    zinger;7700 wrote:
    You will always get idiots.

And that’s why traffic calming and other traffic reducing measures don’t work because it makes the idiots more frustrated and even more of an idiot.

locallad
    Participant

Traffic Lights are the only answer.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News