Queensway depravation — the missing millions!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Queensway depravation — the missing millions!

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

Yes it has happened again an area which has had millions of pounds poured in over the years has actually got more deprived!
    Serious questions needs to be asked of Wrexham Council, Welsh Government and other agencies that are supposed to be helping this area of our town.
    The current process of pouring funding into an area with no impact cannot possibly be justified with dramatic changes to the way things are delivered.
    I certainly don’t have a solution that is for others to sort out but as a tax and ratepayer I begrudge so much being spent resulting in a negative impact.

justjojo2011
    Participant

I have to say, that baffled me too when I saw that. With the amount plummed into the area, it was shocking to hear that any part of Caia Park was considered deprived still. I wonder if the deprevation has less to do with the area and more to do with the reputation?

Alunh
    Participant

The same has happened in Merthyr since the end of its Iron Industry days. Social amelioration sounds good and makes those doing it feel good but it has little long term consequence. Much better to spend whatever money that there is on good education….he say grimacing……and the rest tackling all those things that seem to produce low aspiration and other associated problems in these areas.

I have no problem with spending money in socially deprived areas (if these can be identified) but it needs to be spent on the cause of the problem not the symptom

99DylanJones
    Participant

Alunh
    I believe you are an ex teacher and would have identified families in your day that were ‘problem’– how many of those who are in the deprived areas are generations later from the ‘problem’ families.
    It is time that there was a focused approach to these relatively small number of families and professional stop making out that the whole area in one of these LSOA has problems.

Simon
    Participant

I’ve known long-standing families who have lived in Queensway 1 for
    years.
    Sadly though, I’d cautiously say, that a large majority of vacant
    properties become a dumping ground for problem people. People with
    drink and drug issues.
    If money has been pumped into the area, where? The shops etc have
    the same graffiti on them that they had 10, 15 years ago?

Where has the money been spent???? Is it comparable to what they’ve done to The Parade, Blacon? I don’t think so. :confused:

Parade Redevelopment | Avenue Services

Simon
    Participant

Where, and what has the money been spent on in Queensway 1?

“Run down” Parade in Blacon hoping for £24m revamp – Chester Chronicle

Simon
    Participant

Blacon Parade

13302053jpeg.jpg

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0Lt4LjclLW4ToFekFAKYSqiruZz2-0cgo0w41LJ3TxxaV73rF[/IMG]

Where has the £ millions spent on Queensway 1 gone???

michellecook
    Participant

Where exactly does Queensway 1 cover?

What is the criteria used here for deprivation?

As a resident of Caia, I see a lot of things. Yes, there is a problem with drink and drugs, just as there is in all other areas of Wrexham, including the more affluent.

Yes, there is unemployment, again same problem everywhere. Of course, there are those who have no intention of looking for work.

Child poverty? There may be a few cases but not enough to class the entire area as deprived, unless deprived means not being able to have the latest designer gear as soon as it hits the shelves or the largest TV available.

As for the millions allegedly spent on the area, I haven’t got a clue.

Alunh
    Participant

@michellecook 16753 wrote:

Where exactly does Queensway 1 cover?
    What is the criteria used here for deprivation?
    As a resident of Caia, I see a lot of things. Yes, there is a problem with drink and drugs, just as there is in all other areas of Wrexham, including the more affluent.
    Yes, there is unemployment, again same problem everywhere. Of course, there are those who have no intention of looking for work.
    Child poverty? There may be a few cases but not enough to class the entire area as deprived, unless deprived means not being able to have the latest designer gear as soon as it hits the shelves or the largest TV available.
    As for the millions allegedly spent on the area, I haven’t got a clue.

Hi Michelle. Like you, I am uncertain of where Queensway 1 covers but I presume in the vicinity of the Queensway. As a person with large numbers of relatives by marriage in that area, I also see and hear a lot of things. As you say, the area that Dylan has placed under the microscope has many similar problems to other areas of Wrexham. Wrexham has many similar problems as other areas of Wales. Wales has many similar problems as part of Britain and Europe. Unfortunately, by many social measures, Queensway 1, in turn Wrexham, in turn Wales, have major problems. Dylan’s observations are based upon the idea that the money which has been deployed to the area doesn’t appear, at least to the naked eye, to have turned the area around. In that observation, he may be wrong. It may be that without the input, things would have been worse.

You go on to suggest that someone has had a pop at a whole estate. That would be a silly approach. No one except either a fool or a charlatan would try to denigrate an estate or part of an estate because some stats suggest some problems. What the stats would suggest is that in some areas the stats are worrying. Not for all families or all individuals or all streets…..just overall.

Like you I don’t quite know where the supposed spend has gone. It would be interesting to know.

Simon
    Participant

A Council doesn’t inspire confidence when it builds Eagles Meadow (and forgets a roof) for something like £112m, and sells it for £78m.

That’s a multi-million write off?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News