NHS Wales Prescriptions

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum NHS Wales Prescriptions

• Author

Darlofan
    Participant

Prescription in England can’t be got free in Wales. My dentist is in England and when prescribed anti biotics I took to chemist in Wrexham to be charged. Had no problem as I did think it would be flawed if everyone close to welsh border could pop over and get them free!

Onto issue of number of long term prescriptions it depends how serious these are as not all long term ones are necessarily bad. I for instance had kidney stones last year. Now years ago they would be removed and most of the time recur in 6 ish years costing again to remove. Now I have been put on citric tablets twice daily to stop them returning. As my Dr said it’s a lot cheaper for me to be on them for the rest of my life than be in surgery every so many years.

JRW
    Participant

@Alunh 17025 wrote:

Personally, I don’t think that the NHS ought to be stumping up for drink and drug fuelled excess (and the aftermath) when Cancer patients are not allowed key drugs,

I’m sorry even in the comparative context of Cancer care,you can’t pick and choose which patients are treated freely.These people will have paid in like all others with their taxes,whether if working through PAYE and also of course if they are not through VAT.

Whilst of course there may be a need for a debate on the issues of Alcohol consumption or Drug abuse,this is definitely not the way to end these excesses nor do I believe they would have the necessary effect!

miserableoldbugger
    Participant

@JRW 17056 wrote:

I’m sorry even in the comparative context of Cancer care,you can’t pick and choose which patients are treated freely.These people will have paid in like all others with their taxes,whether if working through PAYE and also of course if they are not through VAT.

Whilst of course there may be a need for a debate on the issues of Alcohol consumption or Drug abuse,this is definitely not the way to end these excesses nor do I believe they would have the necessary effect!

Why are you sorry JRW?
    Yes you can and should be selective in who gets treated. Poles et al in Wrexham have not paid a penny so why should they get free treatment? Its no wonder we have to wait weeks to see a doctor – just go to A&E and see the log-jam!

Alunh
    Participant

@JRW 17056 wrote:

I don’t think, from reading this, that you have either read or understood my point.

In the terms of the NHS, of course you can choose who pays for things and when. If you thought that the English used by me suggested that Cancer patients ought to pay for any sort of treatment, then you need to read my piece again.

There are things that can be paid for in or around Health, and many of these things already are. When the NHS structure was first established, it was assumed that dental charges would be absorbed by the system. This was partially abandoned very quickly, as was the idea of free prescriptions. The post 1945 Labour government saw major name resignations over the NHS and its scope (like Harold Wilson) and it was quickly understood that it was impossible to run a tax funded health system that covered everything. Free prescriptions have only been reinstated in Wales since devolution and the cost of these has meant other choices have not been possible.

It is perfectly possible to charge people for some things without contravening NHS principles and things like Car Park charges can hardly compare with charging for treatment. An interesting area where there are no charges relates to food consumed within Hospital and whilst I would not want patients, wealthy or otherwise, to pay for meals, I can see that reasonable discussion might be undertaken on this matter.

Regularly, the issues of culpability in terms of free NHS treatment come up and regularly there are discussions about whether Smokers, Obese people, Implant recipients, Football injuries, etc ought to get free treatment on the NHS.

Personally, I would want to be very cautious about charging individuals for a whole range of things but I would certainly be tempted to charge people for not attending clinic appointments (with no good reason) and drunken idiots getting treatment at A & E on a Saturday night

Alunh
    Participant

@MP1953 17032 wrote:

Ummm I would love to see you go on a soap box in Queens square and tell everyone there that they were the cause of the deficit :) with regards to parking as has been discussed on here before no wonder Wrexham town is where it is today, sadly I might add …

That’s not what I actually said. Whilst the banks and bankers caused the crash by their dodgy dealings, you would have to be stupid to think that they alone caused all of the things that went on in this time era. People borrowing beyond their means, mortgages uptaken at risky levels, half the population voting for Labour to spend scarce resources as if there was no tomorrow…..crazy. I remember students marching in London and committing all sorts of untoward things because their EMA allowances, introduced 5 minutes before, were being reduced.

It’s much too easy to play the blame game on the crash and austerity. It’s also much too easy to try and end recession by simple solutions like France.

On the Parking question generally, I totally agree with you……..the discussion, however, was not about Car Parking per se, but the ins and outs of Private Car Parking companies to apply their rules where people overstay their parking

Chris
    Participant

@miserableoldbugger 17064 wrote:

Why are you sorry JRW?
    Yes you can and should be selective in who gets treated. Poles et al in Wrexham have not paid a penny so why should they get free treatment? Its no wonder we have to wait weeks to see a doctor – just go to A&E and see the log-jam!

We as EU citizens are entitled to free healthcare in other european counties too. (Free as in having the same entitlement as the natives of said country)

justjojo2011
    Participant

That’s quite a judgemental, assuming and racist statement you made there. Do you know for a fact that every Polish person in Wrexham hasn’t paid into the system? Do you know how long some Polish nationals have lived, worked and contributed in Wrexham, and the UK as a whole? What about the other nationalities in Wrexham? Why pinpoint Polish people specifically.

No, you should not be selective. Everyone is entitled to medical treatment, regardless of their condition. Some conditions and illnesses are self inflicted, this is true and some are not. But would you really tell a cancer patient they can’t have treatment because their condition was caused by them smoking? Or would you tell a mother that her child can’t have treatment because they fell? The system is there for everyone that lives in the UK.

And in terms of the queues at A&E, perhaps if people didn’t clog up the waiting room with their coughs and their colds, there would be plenty of space for the genuine cases to be seen.

@miserableoldbugger 17064 wrote:

Why are you sorry JRW?

JRW
    Participant

@justjojo2011 17076 wrote:

That’s quite a judgemental, assuming and racist statement you made there. Do you know for a fact that every Polish person in Wrexham hasn’t paid into the system? Do you know how long some Polish nationals have lived, worked and contributed in Wrexham, and the UK as a whole? What about the other nationalities in Wrexham? Why pinpoint Polish people specifically.

No, you should not be selective. Everyone is entitled to medical treatment, regardless of their condition. Some conditions and illnesses are self inflicted, this is true and some are not. But would you really tell a cancer patient they can’t have treatment because their condition was caused by them smoking? Or would you tell a mother that her child can’t have treatment because they fell? The system is there for everyone that lives in the UK.

And in terms of the queues at A&E, perhaps if people didn’t clog up the waiting room with their coughs and their colds, there would be plenty of space for the genuine cases to be seen.

I well endorse what you have said.Many Polish people in Wrexham originate from the Penley Polish Hospital in Penley.People who are were the very salt of the earth.Let those who have their own agendas criticise the origins of people.Health treatment should be on the basis of need and for all.

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

Free prescriptions are wrong, as a person who has to take five different drugs a day to stay upright, I never had a problem with paying a fee for them. Generally those who need a lot of meds have help with them, or if like me taking all these drugs enables you to work there was such a thing an annual pre-paid prescription charge which let me pay a set annual charge.
    But this is only part of the real problem. The NHS and the Welfare state that we have today were designed for the 1950s. Especially with the NHS, where there was a rather sweet though naïve thought that everyone would use the NHS and then be healthy. The system was never designed for the size of our population or the medical detection and treatment advancements. Medicine advanced far more in the last 60 years than it had done in the previous 200.
    The whole system needs to be torn up and started afresh. In Ireland a decade ago they introduced a small charge to see the GP, all subsequent visits for the same illness were free. Overnight it stopped the time wasters meaning the GPs could provide a better service. The idea was not to make money, it was not about funding but rather to stop the hard core muppets who abuse the system.

How we go forward with the NHS and Welfare state is far more important than base party politics. We have to stop treating it like a holy cow which can never be changed. I truly hope that a Christmas miracle could happen and those making the decisions would step away from the self-interest and actually do what is necessary for the Country. And when I say country I mean the UK, the NHS is also to important to be left too the clowns in Cardiff, who have done their best to totally destroy the NHS in Wales.

wrexview
    Participant

Nurse was forced to move just five miles over the Welsh border to England to get life-prolonging cancer drugs before she died  | Daily Mail Online

About time we did away with devolution of the NHS and had one National Health Service where every Post Code was equal!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News