New Information Service for Council Tenants

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum New Information Service for Council Tenants

• Author

Nen
    Participant

Is there an offline version of this service for the elderly or people who can’t afford the Internet? My mother-in-law is in her 80’s and wouldn’t be able to use the Internet. Can she still sign up for the service but have someone call her or pop round with any updates? Seems a bit discrimatory otherwise.

CarolThomas
    Participant

Nen you have raised some interesting points so I have written to Clr Ian Roberts and the Chief Executive on the topic.. copy below will let you know if they come up with a response.

Dear Cllr Roberts
    The service that you have launched looks very interesting and I am sure will be very useful for ‘some’ of the Council tenants however unless you are planning to provide everyone with internet in their homes (the same as HMP Berwyn) then 1000’s of residents will not be able to take advantage.
    Have you any data on how many homes actually have internet access?
    This appears to be a discriminating service that has been launched without a non technology solution for those residents without access.
    Have you conducted any kind of equality assessment?
    I would appreciate a response as to how my 78 year old mother without the internet can gain access to the same information as her neighbour.
    Regards
    Carol Thomas

Nen
    Participant

Thanks Carol – I look forward to seeing the response!

I see more and more of these types of services moving online – they are sold as being “so much more accessible” or “improved services” – which is great for us tech savvy people but I fear that the elderly or others without Internet access are becoming increasingly marginalised from services.

Daave63
    Participant

QUOTE : I would appreciate a response as to how my 78 year old mother without the internet can gain access to the same information as her neighbour.
    Regards
    Carol Thomas

I will tell you how Carol, with a daughter like you she won’t miss a flipping trick – or she can ask her neighbour!!

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=113706]QUOTE : I would appreciate a response as to how my 78 year old mother without the internet can gain access to the same information as her neighbour.
    Regards
    Carol Thomas

I will tell you how Carol, with a daughter like you she won’t miss a flipping trick – or she can ask her neighbour!!

[/quote]
    People shouldn’t be reliant on others otherwise it erodes their independence.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News