Minimum alcohol price set for Wales!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Minimum alcohol price set for Wales!

• Author

Bryn6
    Participant

Luckily for me I work in England. I’ll be running a weekly booze cruise, let me know if interested. :-)

Daave63
    Participant

[quote quote=139158]Luckily for me I work in England. I’ll be running a weekly booze cruise, let me know if interested. :-)

[/quote]

Good call mate, but I fear you’ve missed the bus on this idea, there was a similar scheme running some years ago, with free English carrier bags, but since they came on board with Wales, that cross-border scam has been well and truly scuppered!

Matt
    Participant

What a joke, what with Jamie Oliver wanting to ban cakes and bake sales for fundraisers, minimum booze pricing is just another sign that the modern age is becoming a puritanical borefest.

I accept that problem drinking is something that needs to be tackled, but why punish everyone else who just want to have a good time every now and then.

Just make all the idiots who hurt themselves whilst drunk pay for their A&E visits instead, if that’s what the problem is.

The Speaking Truth
    Participant

Typical nanny state being forced upon us all!

JaneJ
    Participant

This would just generate more and more trafficking of booze– Holyhead would be the booze port if Wales with cheaper supplies coming from Ireland. Would 50p a can increase stop someone from buying 4 can and only buy 3 — course not.

If those who are ‘heavy’ street drinkers are expected to reduce then their supply of stolen/shoplifted items will not reduce,

The only way to encourage people to drink less is through education- take them to meet people who are dying with sclerosis – this would give some a wake-up call…

AMA Express
    Participant

Apparently Wales has a drinking problem.

Wrong !

It’s only a problem if you’re not very good at it.

AMA Express
    Participant

[quote quote=139187] take them to meet people who are dying with sclerosis – this would give some a wake-up call…

[/quote]

Hmmmm …. I guess you failed your doctor’s exam. ;)

I think you mean Cirrhosis, of the liver.

Sclerosis is an entirely different disease.

The Monitor
    Participant

It could be something that should be welcomed. It may prevent
    Supermarkets using alcohol as ‘loss leaders’ (why not offer cheaper
    food), and also may reduce domestic abuse, where the guy gets pissed
    at home and bullies the wife. If he gets stroppy in the pub, he soon
    gets answered.

I think it could be a good move all round.

RDx
    Participant

Excellent news for Chester’s alcohol retailers.

RDx
    Participant

[quote quote=139211]It could be something that should be welcomed. It may prevent
    Supermarkets using alcohol as ‘loss leaders’ (why not offer cheaper
    food), and also may reduce domestic abuse, where the guy gets pissed
    at home and bullies the wife. If he gets stroppy in the pub, he soon
    gets answered.

I think it could be a good move all round.

[/quote]

It’s aimed at people with serious alcohol problems, you know the sort who are willing to spend less on food to ensure that they have enough money to fuel their alcohol habits? A price rise will do nothing to deter those sorts of people.

Those who want to force this nanny state nonsense on all of us clearly learned nothing from prohibition. Even if you make alcohol literally impossible to get hold of via legal means, those with problems are still going to find a way to get their fix. Whether it be through bulk buying from bootleggers or by creating their own dangerously strong homebrews.

The people who will be affected most will be moderate low-income drinkers, not alcoholics. As always, the nanny state government can only come up with basic solutions to complex issues, proving that those who govern on our behalf are generally incompetent.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News