Mines Rescue Station

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Mines Rescue Station

• Author

zinger
    Participant

The CADW Grade 2 Listed Mines Rescue Station on Maesgwyn Road, Wrexham is up before the planners for a change of use to Student accommodation.
    Should this be allowed to happen?

KKOB
    Participant

Yes…

st_elswhere
    Participant

Yes definitely. A bit of investment in that area would be more than welcome.

zinger
    Participant

I understand that there are a number of older residents already living on Maesgwyn Road. Will there be a problem with noise, cars etc?

KKOB
    Participant

No, the older residents tend to be fairly quiet and don’t race their Motability vehicles about too much.

zinger
    Participant

@KKOB 2559 wrote:

No, the older residents tend to be fairly quiet and don’t race their Motability vehicles about too much.

Like it. Made me laugh at the thought.
    Though I was rather more concerned for the older residents.
    It may be that some of them have history with the rescue station.
    They are possibly of the age where they lost a relative in the mines.

BenjaminM
    Participant

I worked in that building for a number of years (not with mines rescue though). The alterations that took place inside rendered it unrecognisable from its original use and anything that utilises the building for whatever purpose must be welcomed. What about a hostel for the homeless of Wrexham?

zinger
    Participant

@BenjaminM 2563 wrote:

I worked in that building for a number of years (not with mines rescue though). The alterations that took place inside rendered it unrecognisable from its original use and anything that utilises the building for whatever purpose must be welcomed. What about a hostel for the homeless of Wrexham?

It is untrue when you say that it was rendered unrecognisable as in 2010 there were Mines Rescue men in there who were amazed at how complete it was right down to the chalk marks on the walls from 1960’s.
    Who owned the building when you worked there? Check out the films n youtube.

JanW
    Participant

If the conversion kept the original facade and helped to preserve it then it’s a good idea. There are quite a few houses on Maesgwyn Road that have already been converted to student accomodation as it’s close to the University.

zinger
    Participant

@JanW 2568 wrote:

If the conversion kept the original facade and helped to preserve it then it’s a good idea. There are quite a few houses on Maesgwyn Road that have already been converted to student accomodation as it’s close to the University.

Heritage-wise the most important part of the Mines Rescue Station are the Training Galleries & Drill Hall which are around the back of the building.
    The worry is that these unique parts of the building will be further damaged if not restored first.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News