Margaret Thatcher – A Wrexham Visit

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Margaret Thatcher – A Wrexham Visit

• Author

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

@abidwd 5586 wrote:

Could you please justify this point, and if you don’t mind give an example.

“Male politicians make decisions just as bad as any of Thatchers but they don’t seem to attract the same level of hatred.”

During the Falklands war just over 900 lost their lives. The war in Afghanistan has over 3000 solidiers lives lost but no one has any idea about civilians.

I never agreed with her policies but now she’s dead I think we should let her rest in peace. The country will need someone new to hate now.

zinger
    Participant

Mrs.Thatcher was never my favourite politician but love her or hate her, you couldn’t ignore her. I do believe that she is the last Statesperson we will ever have. In my mind, none that have come since have had the same qualities of Statesmanship. I stood behind her with the Falklands & against her with the miners. History will show whether she was right or wrong. The poll tax was the welfare reform of today.

harry
    Participant

Thought I’d opened the Daily mail for a moment then..

zinger
    Participant

Sorry wasn’t intended to be like Daily Mail. I always try to see both sides of an argument. I am not a political animal. I have my opinions & don’t follow anyone blindly because of what their politics are.

abidwd
    Participant

@Welsh Dresser 5588 wrote:

During the Falklands war just over 900 lost their lives. The war in Afghanistan has over 3000 solidiers lives lost but no one has any idea about civilians.

I never agreed with her policies but now she’s dead I think we should let her rest in peace. The country will need someone new to hate now.

With all respect to what you saying, she was not a good politician and I will never consider her as one.

she’s the Blair type on the other side of the river,both thought they will be in power forever until been got rid off by their own parties.

I think the Soviet journalist who called her the “Iron Lady” did not know what a lady is..he is more familiar with iron though..I wonder what nickname he would give to Cameron!

thewayneinspain
    Participant

In some ways she wasn’t a good politician, but in other ways she was. Anyone who can stay the leader of the tory party for 15 years has the knack of internal party politics.

She was, as was much of her generation, a good debator & skilled orator, a discipline much missed, because sadly the 144 character soundbite with hashtags is now king. I can only think of gorgeous George, Charles Kennedy & Alex Salmond that are even close.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

@abidwd 5603 wrote:

With all respect to what you saying, she was not a good politician and I will never consider her as one.

she’s the Blair type on the other side of the river,both thought they will be in power forever until been got rid off by their own parties.

I think the Soviet journalist who called her the “Iron Lady” did not know what a lady is..he is more familiar with iron though..I wonder what nickname he would give to Cameron!

I never agreed with her politics. She made life very hard for me and many like me but as a woman in high office she is unrivalled and likely to stay that way. I grudgingly admire her for having the strength to compete in the male dominated political scene.

Alunh
    Participant

Often described as a divisive politician she was responsible (along with others) for:

Helping bring about the end of the Cold War. For this area of activity alone she deserves the respect and gratitude of the British people and is thought very highly of in Poland, the Czech Republic, the Ukraine and across the former Warsaw Pact countries.

Ensuring that Britain hung loose from the federalising EU. She was as one politician called her yesterday, a Prophet without honour on this subject.

Eventually, moving the Irish process along with the Anglo-Irish accord.

Preventing the fascist Argentinian Junta taking over the Falklands.

Sorting out the chaotic mess that was British Industrial relations. Even though the NUM Constitution dictated that the Miners needed to ballot their members Arthur Scargill and his like were fully determined to ignore Industrial democracy. She had the temerity to end the appalling Closed shop, institute secret ballots within Unions and a range of other modernising reforms. Note that Labour DID NOT reverse these very modest reforms.

Modernise a whole range of areas including the City of London and the nationalised Industries. Maintaining loss making mines at well below the margins of profitability was a stupid approach in an ever more globalised world. Even a basic understanding of economics dictates trade and the sourcing of cheaper products abroad.

Re-introducing the Competitive/Aspirational ethos that actually brought this country into the top 10 world economies.

Allowing the reinvigorated wealth to allow the vital Welfare state not to be slashed (as the IMF had instructed Healey to do in the 1970’s).

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    Alunh;5606 wrote:
    Often described as a divisive politician she was responsible (along with others) for:

Helping bring about the end of the Cold War. For this area of activity alone she deserves the respect and gratitude of the British people and is thought very highly of in Poland, the Czech Republic, the Ukraine and across the former Warsaw Pact countries.

Ensuring that Britain hung loose from the federalising EU. She was as one politician called her yesterday, a Prophet without honour on this subject.

Eventually, moving the Irish process along with the Anglo-Irish accord.

Preventing the fascist Argentinian Junta taking over the Falklands.

Sorting out the chaotic mess that was British Industrial relations. Even though the NUM Constitution dictated that the Miners needed to ballot their members Arthur Scargill and his like were fully determined to ignore Industrial democracy. She had the temerity to end the appalling Closed shop, institute secret ballots within Unions and a range of other modernising reforms. Note that Labour DID NOT reverse these very modest reforms.

Modernise a whole range of areas including the City of London and the nationalised Industries. Maintaining loss making mines at well below the margins of profitability was a stupid approach in an ever more globalised world. Even a basic understanding of economics dictates trade and the sourcing of cheaper products abroad.

Re-introducing the Competitive/Aspirational ethos that actually brought this country into the top 10 world economies.

Allowing the reinvigorated wealth to allow the vital Welfare state not to be slashed (as the IMF had instructed Healey to do in the 1970’s).

I think is a little bit too brief, there are counter arguments and contradictions to all of the above with the exception of the falklands.

In the words of Tony Benn, her greatest invention was New Labour.

But at least I didn’t have to pay for my degree and i had grants. And the wealth gap wasn’t as big as it is now. There were also less oxbridge students in her cabinet and in the house of commons too.

Alunh
    Participant

Short of a thesis, that’s it…….

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News