Johnstown tragedy rail crossing might be closed after ‘near miss’

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Johnstown tragedy rail crossing might be closed after ‘near miss’

• Author

Steve
    Participant

Just seen this story on the Leader website.

The Leader – News from Wrexham & Flintshire – Johnstown tragedy rail crossing might be closed after ‘near miss’

Can someone help me understand, as I just don’t get it?

Their are several dual carriageways around Wrexham that are national speed limits (so 70 for cars/motorbikes) that have footpaths crossing them. I am not referring to the bridges, but actually crossing the carriageway. Personally I would take great care doing this with two lanes of traffic both ways to cross, however I would also be just as careful crossing a railway line.

The story says that their is a footbridge 200 yards further up the track, this sound ideal but the same thing will happen that happens at pelican crossings some people cross 100 yards further up the road (I have myself in the past) and that’s more dangerous again.

It’s very sad when someone looses their life, especially a child, and the lucky escape for two this last week. Surly though its not the crossings fault (unless of course the design needs improving).

Surly it’s as simple as educating a child not to play there and use it properly when crossing the track? What have I missed?

Andy
    Participant

The level crossing is not really required as there is a footbridge nearby. This is an effort to remove access to the railway line to prevent children playing on the track.
    I agree that 2 children playing on the Wrexham Bypass would also be very hazardous.

johnhoppy
    Participant

In all fairness to Network Rail they have tried to publicise the dangers of crossing railway lines extensively.

There seems to be a knee jerk reaction to ban or alter something whenever a dangerous event occurs, but you can not ban or alter stupidity or carelessness. This is a symptom of the Nanny State, and whilst some activities can be made safer, it is impossible or desirable to eliminate risk altogether. People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Steve
    Participant

@Andy 13974 wrote:

The level crossing is not really required as there is a footbridge nearby. This is an effort to remove access to the railway line to prevent children playing on the track.

Will children just not climb over the post and wire fence if the crossing is removed?

Just to add I have never used, and probably never will use the crossing concerned or the nearby footbridge, so if either or both were removed it would not effect me.

Steve
    Participant

@johnhoppy 13975 wrote:

There seems to be a knee jerk reaction to ban or alter something whenever a dangerous event occurs, but you can not ban or alter stupidity or carelessness.

Maybe if vehicles, trains, cars, motorbikes all limited limited to 10mph, fitted with automatic braking and all round foam so people could randomly walk in front of them when ever they wished the world would be a safer place and no one would have to think about transport safety.

DerekJackson
    Participant

One of the key things with this type of pedestrian crossing is that it means anyone with a push chair or bike is able to use the crossing. What perhaps could be done is to have an alarm of some kind as a warning that a training is coming.
    My understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) was not that the children involved were on the crossing but that they were further down the track in an area that they should not have been walking. If this was the case then they could be prosecuted for trespass – perhaps this is what is required to make an example of children who clearly not only put themselves at risk but also passengers and in particular the driver of the train who could end up going through a life changing trauma if he had hit them.

[email protected]
    Participant

Block the foot crossing as it is nothing but dangerous.

Robert
    Participant

@[email protected] 13985 wrote:

Block the foot crossing as it is nothing but dangerous.

Please feel free to expand upon exactly how it is dangerous…

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News

Bring your broken items to Wrexham’s Repair Cafe this weekend!

News

Wales’ dental services at “risk of catastrophic collapse”

News

Whooping cough cases on the rise in Wales prompting urgent vaccine calls

News

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News