Infection Control in the Maelor Hospital

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Infection Control in the Maelor Hospital

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

It has now been reported by the First Minister that 80-90 patients in the Maelor have hospital acquired covid. This second outbreak is as bad as the first. There must be a weak link somewhere. A&E has undergone some structural alterations which should help social distancing of patients. Worryingly for the staff some of them have also tested positive. It would be reassuring to both staff and patients if the management, who must have held an internal inquiry into these outbreaks , came out and published their findings. Everyone could then work together to stop a third outbreak.

JaneJ
    Participant

This is a very worrying trend that has been reported previously but not accepted by some on the thread. You cannot help but feel sorry for all the staff at the sharp end who have been doing so much to reduce and try to eliminate the rate of infection. The staff in these setting must be living on their nerves waiting for the next patient or colleague to be confirmed as positive.

There appear to be issues around availability of PPE again which after so much preparation is hard to believe that this is still ongoing.

Open Question for Wrexham.com to ask Lesley Griffiths and Ken Skates?
    What assurance can our local Assembly Members give to all those staff who are needing PPE and support that it will be available when they need it? This is not about towing the Party Political line but standing up for the electorate of Wrexham and South Clwyd who are suffering through these issues.

wrexview
    Participant

If the lack of adequate PPE plays any part in these hospital acquired covid infections , then it would be both shocking and outrageous!

wxmbda
    Participant

We shouldn’t be blaming the staff whatsoever for the spread of this in the hospital the root cause of the spread is the patients that defy being told not to leave the wards and going to the entrances to meet their relatives and friends I’ve seen them going back to the wards ignoring staff telling them to wash or cleanse their hands etc so please don’t think for one moment that the staff don’t try their best to eliminate this horrible virus from there and around the town there are so many people that say it’s not me but next thing they are hugging etc so unless this practice is under control and people do what they are asked to do we’re on a loser

Olivers Grandad
    Participant

I agree with wxmbda – I had to attend the Maelor A & E dept early last week and could not fault the nursing and admin team there, they were excellent! I was met at the door and had temperature taken and asked to use hand sanitizer and wear my mask whilst inside, and to go check in at Reception and that I would be Triaged. Over to Reception and the lady was excellent and efficient, but the Hand Sanitizer container was empty, just standing giving my details and a member of the public is standing about a metre behind me, until I asked them to move back! Sat down to wait for Triage and noticed that although it was reasonably quiet, people were sitting close to each other in seats identified to leave clear. Called into the Triage office and again no hand sanitizer in the container inside the office, on the way back out of the office met two people (looked possibly mother and son) walking together down the corridor with no masks on, straight to the exit, turned around and walked back without masks, they may have conditions that mean that they can’t use masks but maybe? Go back and sit down and spot a woman on the phone for about 5 mins with her mask under her chin! My view is that the nursing staff need better support from the support teams and the management, but without doubt the public need to practice what they are being told, wear masks and sanitize and keep distanced, why is it so damn difficult, and if they can’t they need to be asked to leave!

JaneJ
    Participant

Fully agree with Oliver’s Grandad – the issue is not with front line staff but members of the public not complying with what they are told to keep them and others safe.
    If anyone does not adhere to the rules they should be told to wait outside until they are called.

AMA Express
    Participant

Are the smokers still standing outside A&E for a smoke under the ‘No Smoking’ sign ?

JaneJ
    Participant

The smokers seem to be in the background when the TV do outside broadcast from the Hospital- this is a disgrace and shows how little regard some people have for others.

AMA Express
    Participant

If you think that’s a disgrace you should see the ‘staff smoking area’.

wxmbda
    Participant

I think your going off the topic here it’s about infection and Covid despite what you are saying is true let’s focus on the original topic

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News