“Holiday hunger”

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum “Holiday hunger”

• Author

wxmlad
    Participant

Just reading the story. Is this not child abuse if you do not feed your kids?

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=172184]Just reading the story. Is this not child abuse if you do not feed your kids?[/quote]

Its all a matter of choices, wait for it !

WreX-iT
    Participant

Its is abuse if you choose fags and booze over feeding your kids!

TimRegency
    Participant

Looks like some people didn’t read the report properly. As is pointed out, people are struggling to feed their children because of Tory austerity cuts.

AMA Express
    Participant

[quote quote=172195]Its is abuse if you choose fags and booze over feeding your kids![/quote]

And weed and tattoos !

Frogface
    Participant

Food bank usage is at its highest, benefits payments can be stopped on the whim of some spotty faced apprentice at the DWP and the cost of childcare can make it economically inviable for both parents to work, leaving even working families on low wages struggling to meet the costs of living. There are more school holidays than statutory annual leave and kids cannot be left alone while both parents work, so there’s a distinct catch 22 situation – can’t afford childcare so can’t afford to work, so can’t afford to feed the kids.

Free school meals are designed to alleviate this and to ensure that the children of low-wage families get at least one hot meal a day. I applaud any initiative that continues this provision into school holidays and wouldn’t begrudge a single penny of taxpayer cash to deliver it. However, this is being provided by volunteers and charitable donations, so I don’t see the justification for vitriol.

The judgemental comments on this thread are clearly made by those who have not known struggles, and I’m glad that they haven’t, but don’t judge those who need a helping hand.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=172284]Food bank usage is at its highest, benefits payments can be stopped on the whim of some spotty faced apprentice at the DWP and the cost of childcare can make it economically inviable for both parents to work, leaving even working families on low wages struggling to meet the costs of living. There are more school holidays than statutory annual leave and kids cannot be left alone while both parents work, so there’s a distinct catch 22 situation – can’t afford childcare so can’t afford to work, so can’t afford to feed the kids.

Free school meals are designed to alleviate this and to ensure that the children of low-wage families get at least one hot meal a day. I applaud any initiative that continues this provision into school holidays and wouldn’t begrudge a single penny of taxpayer cash to deliver it. However, this is being provided by volunteers and charitable donations, so I don’t see the justification for vitriol.

The judgemental comments on this thread are clearly made by those who have not known struggles, and I’m glad that they haven’t, but don’t judge those who need a helping hand.[/quote]

Of course there are always genuine cases, but I personally know of a family where this is not the case.

Frogface
    Participant

And better that a hundred kids who could probably do without it benefit than one child who couldn’t misses out.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=172318]And better that a hundred kids who could probably do without it benefit than one child who couldn’t misses out.[/quote]

I agree with the sentiment, but that’s there’s where we would have to agree to disagree, “the working (or non working) man is his own worst enemy”

Frogface
    Participant

[quote quote=172259]

Its is abuse if you choose fags and booze over feeding your kids!

And weed and tattoos ![/quote]

But can we hold kids responsible for the choices of their parents? Should they go hungry!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News

Bring your broken items to Wrexham’s Repair Cafe this weekend!

News

Wales’ dental services at “risk of catastrophic collapse”

News

Whooping cough cases on the rise in Wales prompting urgent vaccine calls

News

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News