Field Hospital in Wrexham

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Field Hospital in Wrexham

• Author

zinger
    Participant

It is my belief that the Wrexham & Denbighshire Technical College, Mold Road campus was built to be utilised as a hospital during the cold war in case of nuclear attack. There are also bunkers beneath to house VIPs in that instance.

AMA Express
    Participant

OK. And ?

billycoen
    Participant

Don’t mention getting nuked as well,people will be panic buying and,oh…..too late.

zinger
    Participant

As the wards are already in place, might it not be a good place to start when looking for a field hospital.

TimRegency
    Participant

Good idea, if suitable.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

It is my belief that that is crap, I attended the college in the late 70’s and there was no sign of wards 🤔

zinger
    Participant

https://www.olddailypostlink.co.uk/whats-on/secret-nuclear-bunkers-north-wales-14065950

“At one of the most tense periods in British history soon after the Second World War came to an end, secret bunkers was built beneath what would have been the Denbighshire Technical College at the time to protect any survivors of the nuclear war so many feared in the 50s.”

“They could also have become a place to die for those who weren’t so lucky and who had not responded to treatment in the university’s art school – which would have been turned into a hospital under the emergency plan.”

Transportuser
    Participant

Having to drag things from the mists of time but, if I remember correctly, the door widths were made sufficient to move beds around. There used to be (not sure if it’s still there, a link to a standby generator, possibly in what’s now the art college – was a technical and mining college I think. Previously it was a hospital.
    There are voids underneath Glyndwr.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

I stand corrected Zing, but I don’t think any of the infrastructure remains. 🤔

MP1953
    Participant

If you go into the art college through the main door directly to the left below floor level is a mortuary, there is a chute going up to the pavement on Bradley Road about 3 foot square, I guess its still there as it was only used to access piping and electrics for maintenance.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News

Bring your broken items to Wrexham’s Repair Cafe this weekend!

News

Wales’ dental services at “risk of catastrophic collapse”

News

Whooping cough cases on the rise in Wales prompting urgent vaccine calls

News

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News