Disabled to lose car park

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Disabled to lose car park

• Author

Daave63
    Participant

Why is there a need for designated parking for disabled persons when in my experiance they can & do park anywhere they want?

Alunh
    Participant

[quote quote=106911]Why is there a need for designated parking for disabled persons when in my experiance they can & do park anywhere they want?

[/quote]

You are correct…..they do. People with disabilities will park anywhere they can where the law permits and to suit their needs. This is because they have a disability and they cannot necessarily traverse the same distances as other people. The designated places are designed to ensure that spaces are kept free proximate to town (etc) which will allow disabled people the opportunity to enjoy the facilities that town offers like everyone else.

AVOW99
    Participant

Shopmobility and Blue Badge holder car parking
    AVOW has been instrumental in ensuring that alternate arrangements needed to be in place before the 8 blue badge car parking spaces on Rhosddu Road were removed for use by Police vehicles when they take over the Oriel Gallery for a Town Centre Police Station.
    AVOW submitted information to the December Planning Committee and a decision to defer was made. At the second representation in January additional information and details of the petition were discussed and the application deferred again.
    At the Planning Committee meeting held on 1st February the applicant, North Wales Police, applied for a deferment but the Chair of the Planning Committee pushed for Councillors to make a decision based on the revised parking proposal. The application for the removal of the 8 spaces as part of the overall planning application was approved with the following condition:
    1. 5 Designated Blue Badge Disabled bays will be marked out at the entrance to
    Shopmobility to replace the informal 6 that exist at present. This will require a Traffic Management Order to be consulted on first.
    2. The creation of 8 new Disabled Bays in the Library Car Park which has the entrance on Chester Road.
    There will potentially be a net gain of Disabled Marked Bays but these may not be as convenient as the ones on Rhosddu Road.
    As no Equality Impact Assessment was undertaken we are requesting that one is undertaken and shared with AVOW.
    We would like to thank everyone for the support that they have given on this issue and would like to remind everyone that our key concern all along has been to ensure that adequate car parking is available for disabled/infirm people in Wrexham and at no time have we objected to the development of the new Police Station.
    Please contact [email protected] or tel: 01978 312556 if you wish to receive any additional information.
    Regards
    John Gallanders

BenjaminM
    Participant

Get over youself Mr. Gallanders, the decision has been made, live with it. Count yourself lucky.

gogledd
    Participant

[quote quote=107246]Get over youself Mr. Gallanders, the decision has been made, live with it. Count yourself lucky.

[/quote]

Do you get off on being spiteful? John Gallanders made a generous offer for you to visit AVOW, did you bother to take it up and explore the whole issue? I doubt it very much. I have a number of friend who are wheelchair users and they constantly have to struggle to get parking spaces, get into building and get treated like ‘normal’ people. I sincerely hope that you are never in that situation.

BenjaminM
    Participant

For your information gogledd, my post was not written in spite. I have sincere sympathy with members of our society that have mobility problems for whatever cause or reason.
    What I do find distasteful though, is that it would appear to me that the objections raised seemed to be more to do with Shopmobility as an entity rather than the needs of its perceived clients.
    Let me remind you, not all roads lead to the AVOW offices. There are many other locations within Wrexham town centre that people frequent and judging by the well used disabled provisions on the library car park, are done so without problem.
    I watched the broadcast of the Planning meeting on Monday last and was astounded that the debate centred around Shopmobility rather than the wider context.
    I meant what I said. Shopmobility have done well from the decision.

Councillor X
    Participant

There are 3 disabled parking bays at the back of the guildhall in the councillors’ car park that Are free as they are rarely used.
    Although managers may park there as they never go off site, when council meetings are not on then blue badge holders should park here in our spaces.

wrexview
    Participant

But the general public think you can only use the Guildhall car park at the weekend. If the disabled spaces are open to blue badge holders seven days a week , please use your contacts to advertise the fact!

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=107325]But the general public think you can only use the Guildhall car park at the weekend. If the disabled spaces are open to blue badge holders seven days a week , please use your contacts to advertise the fact!

[/quote] Wrexview, I believe that councillor x is, as he states. He is an ex councillor of WCBC not a present councillor.

wrexview
    Participant

I am not so sure it is an ex Councillor!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News