Councils buying homeless one-way train tickets

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councils buying homeless one-way train tickets

• Author

Councillor X
    Participant

A number of Councils in England are regularly buying one-way train tickets for homeless people to get them out of their area.

Possibly a better solution than a drug consumption room in Wrexham which will only invite people into the area to get their fixes!

zinger
    Participant

If the North Wales Police and Crime Commissioner Arfon Jones has had meetings with BCUHB and the local authority he must surely have minutes of the meeting.
    The one way train ticket idea sounds like a good one. They could perhaps be shipped off to Switzerland as they appear to have the answer to the problem & are already geared up for it.
    I hope that the North Wales Police and Crime Commissioner didn’t go to Switzerland at our expense.

Matt
    Participant

Well, I heard earlier this year that Chester were buying homeless people one-way bus tickets to Wrexham. How cheap are they not even shelling out for a train ticket.

Thing is, this isn’t actually going to have any net benefit on the overall number of homeless people around the UK and the resources they require, because they have to go somewhere. So, if for example Leeds are tactically sending homeless to Sheffield, they’re probably doing it the other way round too.

These are still human beings who need some level of support, whether or not people agree with it. Even if you try and concentrate sending all the so-called ‘undesirables’ to one place, like what has happened in Rhyl, then there gets a point where a place can’t handle it or it gets so bad an overflow occurs. As we’ve seen, some of the Rhyl homeless and persistent drug abusers have decided to come to Wrexham.

If I were homeless I’d just abuse the hell out of the getting a train ticket thing and have a free ride around the country every week, see if I could get a first class upgrade.

JW
    Participant

[quote quote=138912]Well, I heard earlier this year that Chester were buying homeless people one-way bus tickets to Wrexham. How cheap are they not even shelling out for a train ticket.

[/quote]

Slagging of a Labour Council, have you defected Matt?!😮

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=138912] Even if you try and concentrate sending all the so-called ‘undesirables’ to one place, like what has happened in Rhyl, then there gets a point where a place can’t handle it or it gets so bad an overflow occurs. As we’ve seen, some of the Rhyl homeless and persistent drug abusers have decided to come to Wrexham.
    [/quote]

Makes me chuckle now to remember that when I were a lass our annual Sunday school outing was ALWAYS to Rhyl – I’m now wondering where they go these days. I bet it’s not Rhyl, and not only because it’s no funfair anymore.

Nen
    Participant

Yes, I’ve heard of Chester doing this. And you can guess where many of them are headed!

bubble
    Participant

If I believed that they would not return, I’d personally be willing to stump up the money for some train tickets for these individuals.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News