Councillor Performance Indicators

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillor Performance Indicators

• Author

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@NJones 9255 wrote:

Interesting that Councillor Andrew Bailey attends everything but when I tried emailing him recently he didn’t bother to reply to me. Maybe some councillors attend for the free coffee?

I’d say only 5% of councillors reply to an email, unless of course you say you are from the leader or the daily post.

johnhoppy
    Participant

In defense of Wrexham.com, every councillor has a right of reply on these forums as has every one of us. I don’t suppose they are hovering at their computer waiting to respond to every comment on here as it occurs, but if they feel strongly enough about anything they would do so.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@johnhoppy 9262 wrote:

In defense of Wrexham.com, every councillor has a right of reply on these forums as has every one of us. I don’t suppose they are hovering at their computer waiting to respond to every comment on here as it occurs, but if they feel strongly enough about anything they would do so.

If wrexham.com doesn’t want to be an independent online newspaper and be a blog, I would agree with that.

wrexview
    Participant

Decades ago Councillors were paid an Attendance Allowance which could only be claimed for each individual meeting they actually attended.Previous to that they were not paid at all. Do we expect more of our Councillors now that they are salaried and easily contactable via the Internet ?

Rob
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 9263 wrote:

If wrexham.com doesn’t want to be an independent online newspaper and be a blog, I would agree with that.

Probably better for a seperate thread but I would say we have deliberatly not done some newspapery stuff… and blogs can do what we do. Llanblogger is a good example, even has blog in the name. Interestingly this debate wouldnt and couldnt take place on newspaper sites I can think of.

Hyperlocal sites are a dead interesting topic as there are people trying to dream up rules, models and pigeonhole things into defined boxes but no actual ‘right’ way or definative criteria. Will start a thread when on a pc :)

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@Rob 9265 wrote:

Probably better for a seperate thread but I would say we have deliberatly not done some newspapery stuff… and blogs can do what we do. Llanblogger is a good example, even has blog in the name. Interestingly this debate wouldnt and couldnt take place on newspaper sites I can think of.

Hyperlocal sites are a dead interesting topic as there are people trying to dream up rules, models and pigeonhole things into defined boxes but no actual ‘right’ way or definative criteria. Will start a thread when on a pc :)

No rules being dreamt, If you want to be opinion based and not give both sides of the story, you can if you want to be just a blog. That is fine, now i know,

Just a shame that you won’t give right of reply and publicising one side of the story.

Rob
    Participant

‘Just a blog’ is fine if that fits for you – there are some excellent blogs out there so fingers crossed can get close to emulating them.

Likewise there is not going to be 50 odd phone calls being made to enable me to post council published material being cut n pasted and sorted in excel… nor a subset before I get accused of bias :)

….although if thats grounds for bias you are going to love a forthcoming feature!

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@Rob 9270 wrote:

‘Just a blog’ is fine if that fits for you – there are some excellent blogs out there so fingers crossed can get close to emulating them.

Likewise there is not going to be 50 odd phone calls being made to enable me to post council published material being cut n pasted and sorted in excel… nor a subset before I get accused of bias :)

….although if thats grounds for bias you are going to love a forthcoming feature!

the bias is because the wholepoint of this thread was to justify ignoring the right of reply forcouncillor gregory in your “council leader fires back article”

That was bias because there was no right of reply, Why have you only show one side of the argument?

And the fact you won’t give it to him shows bias.

This site has lost credibility.

DR
    Participant

I disagree that Wrexham.com wants to be opinion based, as there is no pushing of personal or political views in that piece. If it was bias then the survey wouldn’t have been linked, no reference to the story would have been made. Neither would referencing various councillors payments, including the council leaders. The accompanying tweet on how to save nearly a million pound wouldn’t have been sent.

Sadly the point of there being so much money available if the councillors gave up their perks has been lost.

As has been mentioned previously, there is a right to reply on these forums. Which is the wxm.com equivalent of a letters page in some sense.

Perhaps while Rob is on the phone to the council to see if he can cut and paste information, he can ask why only 5% of councillors only reply to emails that aren’t from the Post or the Leader and sort out the media bias? And arrange a Skype call with all councillors to find out their attendance of meetings, to prevent any more accusations of bias?

But as Rob has mentioned, if that’s bias then there’s a great feature coming up. That’s if you’re still reading and commenting on a site with no credibility of course ;)

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I don’t think the site has lost anything Wayne. Any member of public has the right to reply to any article on wrexham.com if they feel strongly enough via these forums. The fact that none have as far as I can see indicates that the matter doesn’t concern them unduly.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News