Council extra money from WG

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Council extra money from WG

• Author

JaneJ
    Participant

Looks like another big wedge of cash to our LA again from WG- I can understand that they have lost income from some services but surely this is only things like car park and enforcement charges. Their other income from rents etc should all still be coming in.
    Running TTP is a separate fund.
    Perhaps as Tax Payers we need to start asking were all this extra money is being spend — can someone explain?

WreX-iT
    Participant

Yes JaneJ we should give the money back because its only money from car parks and fines that the Council has lost out on. Coping with COVID wouldn’t have cost them a penny.

Matt
    Participant

I’m guessing this is RE: this article.

Extra £260m package of support for local councils’ pandemic response and end of year budgets

The article explained exactly what the money is for (Covid winter preparation) and is also allocated on a claims basis. So that means each council in Wales applies to it based on their own needs. We all know Cardiff will want to get its dirty little fat fingers into that pie, so why Wrexham wouldn’t want to get involved would be ludicrous?

My guess is a similar relief package will be administered via Westminster to English Councils as well.

We already know Wrexham is running a huge funding shortfall because of years of Difficult Decisions consultations and cuts.

I think I’d rather Wrexham was prepared for any uplift in Covid during the winter than to not take any money. Especially relating to using the money to make sure schools can open properly and stay open and also protect the elderly.

I believe Wrexham will currently also be losing revenues from rent payers and Council tax payers who cannot afford to pay because they’ve lost income or can’t work due to the lockdown and the resulting mass layoffs. It’s pretty bleak at the moment. Some people are struggling to put food on the table even with the Government support in place.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News

Bring your broken items to Wrexham’s Repair Cafe this weekend!

News

Wales’ dental services at “risk of catastrophic collapse”

News

Whooping cough cases on the rise in Wales prompting urgent vaccine calls

News

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News