can the Welsh anthem be sung in English so we can all understand

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum can the Welsh anthem be sung in English so we can all understand

• Author

summerhill
    Participant

Only 1 in 5 people in Wales speak Welsh . Let’s have the anthem in English so we can all get fired up

Danielkg
    Participant

No – Learn Welsh!

Bish
    Participant

I’m not a Welsh speaker but this is the dumbest thing I’ve read for a while.

AMA Express
    Participant

[quote quote=100650] Let’s have the anthem in English so we can all get fired up

[/quote]

It’ll sound like a load of cobblers………………….Oh, hang on tho’. ;)

Sheefag
    Participant

A worthy alternative.

henddraig
    Participant

htpps://youtu.be/XBSWMALJzDM
    Hope the link works, you’ve got until Thursday to “learn” it :)

Phil Wynn
    Participant

One English version of Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau is

The land of my fathers is dear to me,
    Country of poets and singers, celebrities indeed:
    Its warring defenders, so gallant and brave,
    For freedom their life’s blood they gave

Land!, Land!, Pledge-ful I am to my country!
    While seas secure
    This land so pure,
    O may our old language endure.

O land of the mountains, the bard’s paradise,
    Whose precipice, valleys are fair to my eyes,
    Green murmuring forest, far echoing flood
    Fire the fancy and quicken the blood

For tho’ the fierce foeman has ravaged your realm,
    The old speech of Wales he cannot o’erwhelm,
    Our passionate poets to silence command,
    Nor banish the harp from your strand

I must admit as a non-speaking Welsh language Wrexhamite Welshman I have been embarrassed on numerous occasions at the Racecourse when the Welsh language version has been attempted. I guess if sung in English then it would be equally as embarrassing.

BANNON
    Participant

Only 1 in 5 people in Wales speak Welsh . Let’s have the anthem in English so we can all get fired up
    For God’s sake man. If Vinny Jones can learn it, so can you!
    This country (Wales) has so much potential! Yet the WAG drags it down. How? by pandering to some vociferous minorities. No, not Welsh people – others. I worked in a very senior position in NHS Wales and fully supported a scheme for Midwifery Training in Welsh. Go to a care home / Nursing home in North west Wales and hear 90 year old people struggle to communicate with (cheap to employ) 20 something Filipinos or Eastern Europeans. My God this is Wales. Their country! The contribution of Welsh Miners and Farmers (yet there were others in the UK) to the war effort was critical! Add to that refugee children from bomb targeted cities in England and Bevans NHS and we should be celebrating Wales. I am Irish by birth and lineage. Yet I was always,always made welcome in my adopted country of Wales.
    So. CYMRU AM BYTH!

welsh cariad
    Participant

omg ive heard it all now.

Daave63
    Participant

Not quite sure which planet you live on now Bannon, but if live until I’m 90, then I’d be more than made-up if a 20 something Filipino’ gave me a bed bath everyday and couldn’t care less if I didn’t understand her!
    And fancy foreigners coming over here and taking up some welsh lasses job! The top of the morning to ya isn’t it so!!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News