Boundary reorganisation

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Boundary reorganisation

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

So the best kept secret in Welsh Government is out — Wrexham to merge with Flintshire – definite and possibly Denbighshire yet we still have the Leader of Wrexham Clr Nark Pritchard diggin heal in — why because he does not stand a chance of being reelected having presided over some of the most ludicrous decisions of all time in respect to the choice of where to make cuts.
    It is in his personal interest and that of his fellow Executive Members many of whom are well past their ‘sell by date’ and should have retired already. Yes they may have given good service in the past but with such a changing landscape and a closed cheque book to spending they are not living in their ‘old world’. Reality is Wales cannot sustain what it has at present and it needs soen with the bottle like Leighton Andrews to push the changes– this is not bully boy tactics this is realism.
    There is a limit to the time an ostrich can keep its head in the sand before it suffocates – sorry Clr Pritchard and Co it looks like you are already suffocating with little chance of being revived- bow out gracefully and accept defeat.

Captain C
    Participant

I’m just fed of the changing face of Wales. I was born in the Grosvenor Road Nursing Home during the War Years.

That means that I was born in Denbighshire, then I lived in Clwyd and now live in Wrexham County borough.

All this without changing areas, I’m Welsh and proud but just don’t know were I live.

wrexview
    Participant

It has been obvious for sometime that there would only be two Councils in North Wales, as soon as they decided against the voluntary amalgamation of Conway and Denbighshire Councils , the only other option was reforming the old Clwyd , Wrexham, Flintshire and Denbighshire. With the size of the new Council area the centre will again be Mold and look out for a new build as Shirehall Mold is in a very poor structural state!

woogleeye
    Participant

Who stays who goes who will be trembling in their booties for the well paid jobs they have,the knives will be coming out in abundance now.
    R.I.P. Wrexham council as one of the four new councils created in 1996 following the plank (John Redwood the then welsh secretary) decision to remove the county council tier you began quite well then it became a circus of fools and a jobsworth’s paradise.
    Your gravy train has ended and it is now back into the real world welcome back Clwyd.

The Monitor
    Participant

Fewer Councils means ultimately Less Democracy.
    This present assault on democratic representation
    is another example of the lack of
    competence and intelligence in WAG. It also shows
    no real concern for North Wales.

The red line should be drawn when Democracy is
    under subversion or outright attack.

wrexview
    Participant

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-33161855

Looks like Wrexham.com was spot on 22 councils reduced to 8!

wrexview
    Participant

There was talk at the beginning of this process that the final number of Councils could be as few as 6. Maybe still room for manoeuvre? Amalgamate two smaller councils in South Wales , create one huge Council for North Wales , split up Mid Wales, nothing is fixed yet !

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

So if this goes ahead and it looks as though it’s done and dusted any way.
    How much is it going to cost ?
    Changing the name and logos on council stationary, vans, lorries and so on. And that’s just the tip of the iceburg.
    So much for council cutbacks..

CVA01
    Participant

This will give Wales some of largest primary tiers of local government (by population) in the Europe, if not the world. Whilst it might be popular to knock existing authorities, but fewer authorities mean less voter influence and gives Welsh government more control. Which is really what it is all about.

Just to give some examples.

The average population of 8 Welsh authorities will be 382,932, compared to:

Average population of Dutch municipalities: 43,051

Average population of Irish Counties: 148,696

Average population of French Communes: 1,993

Average size of German municipalities: 6,719

There are also more tiers of local government in the Netherlands, France and Germany as well as regional and state governments in the last two respectively. On the face of it perhaps lots of politicians, beauracrats etc etc. But diffusion of power is a good thing. It means decisions are made at the right level and the higher tiers (and the centre) can focus on the more strategic issues. We just don’t ‘get’ local government in the UK, because we don’t actually have local government. We have councils chasing and administering central targets.

johnhoppy
    Participant

The present system is not very democratic. The real power in the Council lies with the members SELECTED to the Executive Board. The remaining councillors have very little influence, and we have all seen how genuine debate is stifled at meetings. I was quite happy with the previous divisions of council areas, although at the time we had District Councils to represent us. I would imagine that Community councils will become more prominent in our lives following the reorganisation if it goes ahead.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News

Updated: Firefighters called to incident at Bryn Lane recycling centre

News