BBC ‘receives 100,000 complaints’ over Prince Philip coverage

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum BBC ‘receives 100,000 complaints’ over Prince Philip coverage

• Author

Councillor X
    Participant

EastEnders and the MasterChef final were replaced by news programmes and i got so much grief off Mrs X that you would think it was me who was in charge of the TV channels.

I am not a big fan of the Royals, especially after Harry being such a nodding donkey in the interview with that Opera woman but Phillip told it as it was and wasn’t up his own bum. I was reading some of his gaffs on the internet and wanted to share some of these so we can remember a human being who wasn’t scared of not being PC.

1986: “If you stay here much longer you’ll all be slitty-eyed.” To a group of British students during a royal visit to China.

1995: “How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test.” To a Scottish driving instructor.

2001: “You’re too fat to be an astronaut.” To 13-year-old Andrew Adams who told Prince Philip he wanted to go into space.

2002: “Still throwing spears?” Question put to an Australian Aborigine during a visit

2010: “Do you work in a strip club?” To 24-year-old Barnstaple Sea Cadet Elizabeth Rendle when she told him she also worked in a nightclub.

2012: “I would get arrested if I unzipped that dress.” To 25-year-old council worker Hannah Jackson, who was wearing a dress with a zip running the length of its front, on a Jubilee visit to Bromley, Kent.

RIP Duke, you were one of a kind.

Apologies if this offends anyone and please feel free to take it off Rob.

zinger
    Participant

I liked Prince Philip. We could do with more like him in public life. Political correctness has taken away all the decent comedians.

Transportuser
    Participant

Interesting to note, they were third cousins.
    First met in 1934.
    July 1939 a 13-year-old Elizabeth was, according to the papers “smitten” by an 18-year-old Philip, who was then a naval cadet and kept in constant touch until they married.
    I’ll not draw parallels!
    The family background is interesting.

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

The media complain if public figures stick to a script, and then complain when they go off script. The press and media spent most of Prince Philip’s life highlighting whenever he made a joke (always referred to as a gaffe) and when he dies they print reams and fill hours of airtime lauding him and saying what he great chap he was. It is all about selling papers or advertising and very little about the content. Compared to some of the stale and predictable platitudes coming out of the Senedd and Westminster, he was a breath of fresh air, with an intellectual curiosity that our politicians, with a few notable exceptions, show little evidence of matching.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News

Bring your broken items to Wrexham’s Repair Cafe this weekend!

News

Wales’ dental services at “risk of catastrophic collapse”

News

Whooping cough cases on the rise in Wales prompting urgent vaccine calls

News

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News