A&E departments in north Wales under review

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum A&E departments in north Wales under review

• Author

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

Plans to change the way the A&E departments operate at north Wales’ three general hospitals is under review, BBC Wales has learned.

Health Minister Mark Drakeford has confirmed A&E services at Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor, Glan Clwyd Hospital at Bodelwyddan and Wrexham Maelor were being examined. BBC News – A&E departments in north Wales under review, minister confirms

Could be downgraded

wrexview
    Participant

“Dr Rees added that the status quo was no longer possible”

Perhaps it would be if the Welsh Assembly started their budget with only the essentials and cut out all the extras like pot plants, meetings on the web and all the other ring fenced waste of money. The Web – casting and pot plants together are a million pounds. As with any budget it is often more about how you spend your money rather how much you have !

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

Interestingly I’m currently awaiting a very minor outpatients procedure. I was referred to see a consultant by my Wrexham GP. The resulting appointment letter was sent from Countess of Chester. Although I saw the consultant at the Maelor yesterday, the short procedure will be carried out at…The Countess of Chester. So other than the room at the Maelor, where I spoke to the consultant, all my treatment plan is being conducted from Chester!

Now you would assume Wrexham A+E would be safe…mmmmm Chester A+E is only 15mins drive!!!Perhaps my treatment process is a sign of things to come.

Simon
    Participant

thunderbirdskid you are so lucky to receive an appointment!!

Over two years ago my optician wrote a letter to my then G.P saying I needed an urgent referral to the Eye Department because I have optic neuritis. Unfortunately my G.P ignored the letter. Nearly 4-months ago I went for a routine eye test and the optician was both amazed and very concerned about this and wrote again to my new G.P. My G.P has since sent 2 referrals marked ‘urgent’ to the Eye Department and the consultants have marked me down as “routine”. The hospital cannot even give me a date. They say that the next notification I shall receive will be one informing me of an appointment 2 months in advance.
    It looks ever increasingly that I have M.S. My eye-sight has deteriorated dramatically and I need a new prescription, but I can’t get this until I see a consultant…..
    I have already lost 2 years and 3 months of treatment for M.S, and my eyesight has been damaged for good. I have had to put extra spotlights up in my kitchen because I can’t see the dials on my cooking stove.

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

Hi Simon,

I’m certainly not complaining about the speed of treatment. Just highlighting the fact that some really small very minor outpatient surgery is having to be conducted

(a) in another country
    (b) By a hospital that is funded by English taxpayers. I am unable to have the same treatment in my own local hospital, here in Wales. I’ve no doubt the Chester community also complain about their waiting times for treatment…Its bizarre.

The treatment, which is actually a small cyst in a blocked hair follicle is actually something that could be conducted by a GP in a treatment room, with a scalpel and sutures…….Its all getting very expensive and involved!

Hope your issues get resolved quickly Simon.

Simon
    Participant

Yippee!

Received my appointment today! February 3rd.

That’s not bad seeing 2 URGENT referrals were sent by my G.P from September 17th!
    Only nearly 6-months. In that time, my eyesight has deteriorated considerably. I’m using a torch to see the dials on my cooker, I can’t read my mobile phone and I find car headlights at night-time to painful to drive in the dark.
    Perhaps the Maelor will pay for some laser correction at one of the top clinics on Harley Street? I doubt it :mad:

BenjaminM
    Participant

Both the cases referred to by thunderbird and simon are in accordance with the information published by NHS Direct Wales with regard to waiting times and alternative locations for treatment.
    Whilst I sympathise with you both (particularly Simon) if everyone was able to receive treatment when and where they want, it would be an ideal situation, but unfortunately we don’t live in a utopian world.
    Simon, if your vision has deteriorated to the level you illustrate, is it a serious proposition to continue driving at all bearing in mind the potential additional hazards posed to yourself and other road users?
    I heartily wish you a speedy recovery.

Simon
    Participant

I find car headlights at night-time to painful to drive in the dark.

I avoid driving at night time.

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

@BenjaminM 10947 wrote:

Both the cases referred to by thunderbird and simon are in accordance with the information published by NHS Direct Wales with regard to waiting times and alternative locations for treatment.
    Whilst I sympathise with you both (particularly Simon) if everyone was able to receive treatment when and where they want, it would be an ideal situation, but unfortunately we don’t live in a utopian world.

No sympathy required for me Benjamin thanks. I’m very happy with the speed of my referral, i’m merely pointing out that, the potential for A+E Wrexham to close or be downgraded must be a viable option…..I might not like it, but the option is there…..Patients are already travelling to Chester for treatment.

Darlofan
    Participant

@Simon 10819 wrote:

thunderbirdskid you are so lucky to receive an appointment!!

Over two years ago my optician wrote a letter to my then G.P saying I needed an urgent referral to the Eye Department because I have optic neuritis. Unfortunately my G.P ignored the letter. Nearly 4-months ago I went for a routine eye test and the optician was both amazed and very concerned about this and wrote again to my new G.P. My G.P has since sent 2 referrals marked ‘urgent’ to the Eye Department and the consultants have marked me down as “routine”. The hospital cannot even give me a date. They say that the next notification I shall receive will be one informing me of an appointment 2 months in advance.
    It looks ever increasingly that I have M.S. My eye-sight has deteriorated dramatically and I need a new prescription, but I can’t get this until I see a consultant…..
    I have already lost 2 years and 3 months of treatment for M.S, and my eyesight has been damaged for good. I have had to put extra spotlights up in my kitchen because I can’t see the dials on my cooking stove.

2 years you waited and never chased it up!? I would suggest next time you start to make phone calls after a couple of months rather than leaving it. Mistakes happen there are humans and computers involved in the process. In the last 18months my wife and I have both used The Maelor for referrals from GP and myself through A+E, both occasions we have had no problems with appointments or delays whatsoever.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Gatorade named official sports drink of Wrexham AFC – ahead of squad sweat test

News

Generational change at top of Welsh Government

News

North Wales MS supports call for national brain tumour strategy

News

Six charged with high value shoplifting offences in Wrexham

News

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years