The Illustrated First World War

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum The Illustrated First World War

• Author

patrickw55
    Participant

Hello everyone

I wanted to post today to let you all know about the WW1 centenary project I and my colleagues have recently launched.

Illustrated First World War Art, WW1 Facts, WW1 Soldiers & Women | Illustrated London News has made the entire Illustrated London News 1914-1919 archives completely free for people to access. For those of you who don’t know, Illustrated London News was a very popular publication through the 19th and most of the 20th centuries and was the first newspaper to include pictures in its reporting.

As a result Illustrated First World War.com gives you the chance to see some of the most amazing military images. Photography were not as sophisticated then as they are today, so we relied primarily on drawings/ paintings but often featured photographs as well. Some of the best artists of the time, including Fortunino Matania, worked for Illustrated London News ltd and produced some spectacular WW1 artwork [pictured].

ATM our website gives full access to the 1914-1919 Illustrated London News but we will soon be including the 1914-1919 editions of our other prominent WW1 publications including The Sphere, the Graphic, The Tatler, The Bystander, The Sketch, The Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News and The Illustrated War News (published specifically to report on WW1)

We also have a timeline, topic, titles and artists sections with material curated by myself and the heritage team. We also have a great blog filled with great WW1 facts and centenary news.
    So if you’re interested in seeing some of the greatest imagery to be produced in the First World War visit Illustrated First World War Art, WW1 Facts, WW1 Soldiers & Women | Illustrated London News and check out our contribution to WW1 heritage.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Council say “time to look at future” of Queensway trees due to ‘instability’

News

Popular ‘Coffee and Chat’ Group has launched in Wrexham

News

“Lovely atmosphere on procession” as Eisteddfod welcomed to Wrexham

News

North Wales MS backs campaign for law to create a smoke free Wales

News

Here is a chance to land your dream job as a rhino keeper at Chester Zoo

News

North Wales university using VR to give students valuable insight into coercive control

News