Referendum Debate

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Referendum Debate

• Author

Rex Ham
    Participant

Then we will have to agree to differ Sheefag.

However, On the issue of the main debate, I notice Professor Stephen Hawking has ventured an opinion, and I think I’d rather be guided by his thinking than Johnson, Gove and the other exiteers.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/stephen-hawking-trumps-popularity-inexplicable-and-brexit-spells-disaster/ar-BBtFu84?li=BBoPOOl&ocid=edgsp

Sheefag
    Participant

Professor Hawking is a world class Physicist, a master in his field but he can only debate on how he perceives the EU to impact his field.
    Quite why funding for science would dry up if we left the EU or indeed the traffic of the highly qualified would cease on Brexit is beyond me, would there really be a new Iron Curtain between here and mainland Europe?
    How on earth did the Industrial Revolution and the largest empire the world has ever seen occur without or before the EU?

Let me qualify abusive relationship if I may with a very real example.
    Back in 2010, Britain was fined more than £150m by the EU for failing to display the European flag on a string of Brussels funded projects.
    There are apparently very strict rules on how the EU flag must be plastered over any piece of infrastructure, funded in any way by the EU.

Let me put it another way, you pay me £1000 because I say you have to.
    I then give you a £10 contribution back towards fixing your roof.
    I then fine you an extra £5 because you didn’t show me enough gratitude.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/7878417/Britain-fined-150m-by-Brussels-for-failing-to-fly-EU-flag-report.html

wrexview
    Participant

Referendum Postal Votes have been sent out at the end of May , almost a month before the election, is this the normal election procedure? When are postal votes opened , on Election Day itself ?

Andy
    Participant

The Economy and trade are just a side show to the real issue of who makes the laws that we all have to live by and how accountable are they to us. The real point is if you can’t remove the people who govern you, then you live in a Dictatorship.

Rex Ham
    Participant

European legislation is decided upon by the Council of the European Union (comprised of ministers from each country) and the European Parliament (MEP’s elected by us), so you do or can elect or remove the people who govern you, just like in Westminster, where we have two arms of legislature, the Lords and the Commons (we don’t elect the Lords in the UK, at least the Council of the EU is decided by the member states. The European Commission decide the legislation, by it has to go through the Council and Parliament. So it’s a bit dramatic to call it a dictatorship.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Council say “time to look at future” of Queensway trees due to ‘instability’

News

Popular ‘Coffee and Chat’ Group has launched in Wrexham

News

“Lovely atmosphere on procession” as Eisteddfod welcomed to Wrexham

News

North Wales MS backs campaign for law to create a smoke free Wales

News

Here is a chance to land your dream job as a rhino keeper at Chester Zoo

News

North Wales university using VR to give students valuable insight into coercive control

News