Radio 4 Interview This Morning.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Radio 4 Interview This Morning.

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

Also why did Mark Drakeford not mention this extra money during his interview this morning?

wxm
    Participant

In business, when a factory or business unit is broken, the person running it is replaced straight away. Otherwise performance and quality will drop like a stone, or it will go bust. Which ever one, it costs jobs, earnings, and morale.

Coupled with this, the board of directors and governing body do not interfere in the day to day running. The Maelor needs a ‘General Manager’ who is left to get on with it.

Just as we had experience with excellent staff, we also had some poor experiences. If a discussion is to start about personnel standards, it must surely be swift and effective, or it will lower morale further

wrexview
    Participant

BBC News – Wrexham Maelor A&E doctor blames bed shortage for waits

A more detailed BBC article referring to this mornings interview.

Alunh
    Participant

@EternalOptimist 17865 wrote:

I agree in principle with the views above that change should be available via the ballot box.

Unfortunately, in reality change is not available via the ballot box. The main parties all have the same social, economic and foreign policies. For example, every party as far as I can see, supports the same system of fiat currency and fractional reserve banking, which is one of the root causes of many of our problems. They all have the same foreign policy.

This has nothing to do with political philosophies or rhetoric and everything to do with voting for someone who can run something. Indeed, the fact that the main parties broadly agree on things like the NHS, as Frank Field has pointed out, should help make it work properly. It would be much better if one or two technocrats with a good track record were brought in to run important organisations and I even noticed Trevor Philips the other week mentioning the US- where the name of the game is not dogma but making things work.

JaneJ
    Participant

Not all of the issues are to do with Health Management and GPs– the public have to take some responsibility by stopping turning up at A and E or GP surgeries when not appropriate as they could go to a chemist for an off the shelf product or use water and sticky plaster.

PhilWynn
    Participant

@wrexview 17844 wrote:

This morning an A&E consultant from the Wrexham Maelor Hospital with 18 years experience in the department , was interviewed on Radio 4. He explained his department were missing waiting time targets mainly because of a lack of empty beds within the hospital to move patients into from A&E. Mark Drakeford was then interviewed. He droned on about not right to compare Wales with England and the huge numbers turning up at A&E. What Mark Drakeford didn’t say was :-
    1. I apologise to both the hard working staff and patients for not getting to grips with this long standing problem of no beds, exacerbated by hospital closures.

2. I know what the problem is and I have a plan of action.

3. I will visit Wrexham Hospital and speak directly to the staff ,listen to their concerns and take account of their views when formulating an action plan.

Mark Drakeford came across as remote, disinterested and in denial. His comments continued to be political “we haven’t closed any doors in Wales” again referring to England rather than acknowledging the problems on his own doorstep .

We need to support the staff in our hospital who are doing a good job in impossibly difficult circumstances. We believe in you and know you should not be asked to work under such pressures and now fully appreciate your frustration, THANK YOU!

Wrexview – many thanks for bringing this to everyone’s attention. The interview does make for worrying listening for all who may rely on our town’s A&E Dept.

Hats off to the consultant for openly raising his concerns, especially for flagging the un-relenting work pressures he and his work colleagues are having to endure.

The link to the interview can be found by clicking on 17/1/15, then fast forwarding to 49.30 minutes on:

BBC Radio 4 – Today, 17/01/2015

Representatives from Betsi Cadwaldar University Health Board are attending WCBC’s ” Safeguarding, Communities and Wellbeing Scrutiny Committee” this coming Wednesday evening , starting 6pm at the Guildhall. The meeting is open to the general public so please come along and listen to the discussion.

The agenda can be found on:

Agenda for Safeguarding, Communities and Wellbeing Scrutiny Committee/Crime and Disorder Scrutiny Committee on Wednesday, 21st January, 2015, 6.00 pm – WCBC

Whilst the performance of our A&E is not on the agenda, I would be very surprised if this concerning issue is not raised by the Chair or representative of our Health Board.

I shall direct the Chair to this thread so any constructive comments can be picked up on.

Cllr Phil Wynn

Sheefag
    Participant

Another thread hijacked for personal promotion Councillor Wynn, bravo sir.

The problem with A&E;

1. Nowhere to send older people and blocking beds. A friend of mines father has been in hospital for 3 months, he was originally taken there after a fall (no bones broken), after several infections, refusing to eat and lost confidence they can’t send him home until he gets better care sorted, and discussions have been dragging on for weeks.

2. Last week a work colleague went to A&E with a wound needing stitches. Whilst waiting some 4hrs he witnessed 3 polish men with colds go in an presumably come out with paracetamol, a child with a rash happily running around and a women with dizzy spells. When will people learn A&E means accident and emergency? There should be a triage system which actually sends people home if they shouldn’t be there. That’s the only way people learn.

wrexview
    Participant

Thank you Councillor Wynn for pointing towards the Scrutiny Meeting on Wednesday 21st January. The Council site is not the easiest to navigate and perhaps someone will put a direct link to the agenda on here . I see item 4 on the Agenda is to do with the Health Board and although there is no reference to waiting times in A&E, there is provision for “Questions” at end of the agenda item. I hope the committee asks if and when the extra thirty beds promised will be in use, how much of the 40 million of new money allocated by the Welsh Assembly they are expecting and how they will use it to alleviate the A&E crisis.

I am surprised the Committee Agenda doesn’t include and item on the A&E waiting problems as it has been on going on for over 12 months . ( just look through the various threads on this site)

moggsie
    Participant

#12 Eternal Optimist : “These are merely the symptoms, of much larger, international forces at work. ” Totally true. Low Pay =low local taxation = No Services ( NHS or otherwise ).

#17 Mrs Crewe : Although I usually disagree with most of what you usually say, at least you’re raising points here that are taboo, when they should not be. That said, NHS staff are not cloned from a test tube for the purpose. They are merely a reflection of our society as a whole. You do get less well performing people in all walks of life y’know ! ( p.s. do you fall within the 5% you mention ? )

#28 Santas little helper : “, a child with a rash happily running around and a women with dizzy spells”. It’s not always easy to triage. Case in point: 2 yrs ago, my wife passed out at home twice within 10 mins. She just went down like she was pole-axed. White pimply rash all over. Rushed her to A&E in a state of semi-conciousness. By the time we got to a cubicle, all the symptoms had disappeared apart from some “dizzyness”. What would you have done, stayed at home & taken some aspirin ?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Council say “time to look at future” of Queensway trees due to ‘instability’

News

Popular ‘Coffee and Chat’ Group has launched in Wrexham

News

“Lovely atmosphere on procession” as Eisteddfod welcomed to Wrexham

News

North Wales MS backs campaign for law to create a smoke free Wales

News

Here is a chance to land your dream job as a rhino keeper at Chester Zoo

News

North Wales university using VR to give students valuable insight into coercive control

News