Open space assessment

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Open space assessment

• Author

Pinky02
    Participant

Wrexham council have recently paid consultants to complete an open space assessment of wrexham borough. This report is totally flawed and inaccurate. I urge people to ask their local councillor to check that the open space recorded in their community is correct. Otherwise you could find yourselves fighting to keep your public open spaces that are so desperately needed.

wrexview
    Participant

Consultants to record Open Spaces! All you need is a map and some colouring pencils.

Pinky02
    Participant

I totally agree wrexview and to top it all it cost the tax payers over £25,000 for these consultants to produce a report which quite frankly is only good for starting a fire with! There again what do you expect when you give the contract to a firm in Bury to produce?

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=102189]I There again what do you expect when you give the contract to a firm in Bury to produce?

[/quote] Pinky02, can you elaborate on what is wrong with a firm from Bury, doing what the Council ask it to do? If you have a problem with the expenditure and reasoning in giving this contract, then your gripe is with WCBC.

wrexview
    Participant

I suppose the word “assessment” is the key one, possibly the Council are really looking for some green space they can sell off in order to fill their empty coffers! They have already build on some prime green space in the Borough , Ashfield ( Tennis Centre) Plas Coch (Sainsburys etc) ,Garden Village (housing),Acton Park (housing) Rhosddu (housing)! One thing is certain no green open space is replaced once it has been lost ! Wonder when the consultation paper will be made public?

AMA Express
    Participant

Future generations won’t need open spaces. Their legs will atrophy as they spend more and more time on their computers and x-boxes.

Pinky02
    Participant

Sorry Jimbow I agree WCBC is at fault here and not the firm from Bury. How can a company over 70 miles away possibly cover the whole of Wrexham borough’s open spaces in less than 4 months and produce an accurate report? Does WCBC not know how much open space they have? The logical thing to do would have been to ask community councils to submit the open space in their community, after all they know their ward better than someone who lives over 2 hours away.

jimbow
    Participant

Pinky02, By asking a firm from outside Wrexham to produce a report, one would hopefully expect that report to be impartial. By asking a community council to submit a report, how accurate could that report be? You only have to look at the support from the community council in Llay, against the planning application to build 350 plus houses on open space. The community council report may well not have all open spaces declared on it, for fear of future building applications. Just a thought.

Pinky02
    Participant

WCBC and the community council together would produce a report far more accurate than the one produced by the impartial firm. The last public open space assessment was compiled in 2009. Are you saying Wrexham council do not know what pieces of land they manage through grass cutting and what land they have approved planning applications for since then? As for the planning application to build 350 houses, this was on private land not public.

ddraig
    Participant

I agree with jimbow the reason a consultant is used is to be impartial. This will be required as part of the new LDP, and councilors/community councils would not give an honest view.

I believe the open spaces, are all open spaces not just council owned. It ultimately will help decide which greenfield areas are built upon based on how much open space is available in an area (subsequent to a development), it will also highlight fields which may not be categorized as open space (i.e. more likely to be included in the plan for development).

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Navigating the World of Online Dating!

News

Drop in number of Welsh-medium pupils in Wrexham blamed on lockdown

News

Free prostate cancer blood tests as local group share how to get a PSA Test

News

Council say “time to look at future” of Queensway trees due to ‘instability’

News

Popular ‘Coffee and Chat’ Group has launched in Wrexham

News

“Lovely atmosphere on procession” as Eisteddfod welcomed to Wrexham