New Market Regulations

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum New Market Regulations

• Author

R T
    Keymaster

New market regulations are being brought in – explained due to the below – as the markets are an important part of a ‘market town’, their running & regulation is also of interest? :)

[i]The Market Regulations have not been reviewed for a number of years. As a result
    they need updating to reflect changed legislation and operational circumstances.
    Whilst the Indoor Market Regulations have generally been cross-referenced in
    occupancy and tenancy agreements or key elements thereof incorporated formally
    within the agreement there hasn’t been a consistent approach to publicising them and
    some of the references therein were outdated. It is important that the rules and
    regulations for indoor markets and for outdoor markets are clear to stallholders and
    casual traders, which in turn will enable better management of the markets as a whole
    by the Council. It is proposed that they are subjected to a formal review periodically
    and at least every two years.[/i]

The indoor regulations are here, with the changes crossed out and new bits underlined http://moderngov.wrexham.gov.uk/documents/s3364/Appendix%201.pdf?LLL=undefined

Same for the outdoor regs: http://moderngov.wrexham.gov.uk/documents/s3365/Appendix%202.pdf?LLL=undefined

R T
    Keymaster

Just thought I would bump this from June 3rd. I also mentioned this to a couple of traders around them too.

Is there lack of communication by the Council of the new terms to traders, traders unaware of their own contracts or people not reading the right websites ;) , or something else?

wrexview
    Participant

I see the Butcher’s Market is the only indoor market to still close early on Wednesdays, an anachronism in the 21st Century?

jimbow
    Participant

The Council were going to open the Butchers Market on a Wednesday afternoon, to fall in line with the parking drop off point for visiting buses to the town centre in High Street. It now looks that the Council have had a rethink. In fact there are many of the stalls in the Butchers Market closed all day on a Wednesday. So much so for Market Regulations, when the Council will not implement them. Could it be, the Council would have, in the back of their minds, to put out the markets out to tender?

BenjaminM
    Participant

[quote quote=97379] In fact there are many of the stalls in the Butchers Market closed all day on a Wednesday. So much so for Market Regulations, when the Council will not implement them.
    [/quote]

Or perhaps the stall holders are failing in their obligations.
    Two ways of looking at every situation, not always the council at fault.

I remember, either last Christmas ( or the one before), one of the Meat Market traders was up in arms because a democratic decision made by the traders had decided they wanted to close the day following Boxing Day. Should they have been taken to task and forced to open? Or should the common sense approach be allowed to prevail.
    All too easy to take a pop especially when partisan views are involved.

Alunh
    Participant

[quote quote=97350]Just thought I would bump this from June 3rd. I also mentioned this to a couple of traders around them too.

Is there lack of communication by the Council of the new terms to traders, traders unaware of their own contracts or people not reading the right websites ;) , or something else?

[/quote]

You are right to bump this forward because this fits in with what I see as the repositioning of Wrexham as a post-Market town. I recognise that the new regs have probably (?) been brought in so that the stalls can be moved to suit the Arts Hub development but if they are around for more than the minimum amount of time, the Markets are doomed as on-going entities. When I set up in the Peoples Market in 2005, I was just indulging in a suck it and see exercise. Once I recognised that I was going to stay around, I invested several thousands pounds in rigging out a stall (then stalls, then a shop). For me to invest, I have to have confidence in several things, security of tenure being one of them. When I moved to Bank Street, I gave myself a budget of about £5000 above and beyond the kit I already had to set up my shop.

I sense that if people read these new regs, they will not invest a penny, and it would appear, if you look around the Market, that no one actually is. Get ready for a brave new world in Wrexham

jimbow
    Participant

BenjaminM:- Yes there are two ways of looking at it and stallholders could be failing in their obligations. If WCBC however draw up a set of rules and stallholders break those rules, then it is in the hands of WCBC to put it right.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning to motorbike and moped owners after series of vehicle thefts

News

Wrexham Music & Theatre Society unveils cast for its first musical in 17 years

News

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News

Bring your broken items to Wrexham’s Repair Cafe this weekend!

News