New Car Parking Charges

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum New Car Parking Charges

• Author

lazyjack
    Participant

@wrexview 11592 wrote:

From graphs in the minutes the 85% occupancy is at peak times ( peak times are not defined) . However the car park I am referring to is the one referred to as the Guildhall Car Park which is for private use ( Councillors and Officers ) Monday to Friday and used by the public only on Saturday and Sunday. Opening up only half of this car park to the public seven days a week would produce extra income in the region of £100,000 per year. The machines are already installed so no extra expenditure.

If the car parks are only 85% full at peak times, it does really make you wonder why the need for very expensive parking signs to tell you that there are spaces.

jimbow
    Participant

@wrexview 11581 wrote:

Most days many spaces in that car park are empty and could be used and paid for by members of the public. There is 63 spaces on two levels in car park , releasing just 30 spaces could increase the council’s income by some not inconsiderable £100,000 per year!

The 63 spaces in the Guildhall car park are needed for 1 CEO,3 Strategic Directors,9 Heads of Dept,9 Deputy Heads of Dept and probably a few more top officers ,along with visitors on council business,together with 52 councillors.Not much room if you allocate 30 spaces to the public.
    Making 30 spaces available to the public from 9 to 5 on the five working days at 50p per hour would bring in £31,000 per year if all 30 spaces were taken up.Your quote of £100,000 is a bit off the mark

Chris
    Participant

Why cant they pay to park like the rest of us.

oldboy744
    Participant

@Chris 11595 wrote:

Why cant they pay to park like the rest of us.

Unless they need to constantly use their cars for work purposes such as surveyors/inspectors/social workers, they should pay. I see the same cars there every day, and most are in the same space when I walk past at night.

Saying that, if my work offered me a free space i’d take it..

NJones
    Participant

@oldboy744 11596 wrote:

Unless they need to constantly use their cars for work purposes such as surveyors/inspectors/social workers, they should pay. I see the same cars there every day, and most are in the same space when I walk past at night.

Saying that, if my work offered me a free space i’d take it..

All other staff including surveyors/inspectors/social workers have to pay and they do need access to transport as party of their roles.

harry
    Participant

council staff also get to park FREE at the old social services offices in grosvenor rd, they also have the money to pay a security guard to stand there when it gets dark for an hour or so, so staff dont have to walk in the car park in the dark.

i thought WCBC had no money, its all a total farce!!! The rest of us have to shell out over £50 a month to park!!:mad:

wrexview
    Participant

The Councillors Guildhall Car Park is still free or ” Complementary” as the sign says. Unusual for a parking machine to be out order for this long , so make the most of it!

wrexview
    Participant

The Waterworld car park illuminated sign stated it was full all day today ! The area facing Chester Street resembled a large open space so there were many many empty spaces. This isn’t the first time I have noticed this. A sign giving incorrect information is less than useless!

wrexview
    Participant

The town is very quiet today and the car parks are far from full. Three months on from the price increases and car park usage is still affected. Time for the Council to reconsider their position? Some eye catching offers would help!

Katia
    Participant

Is the town quieter because of the parking charges, probably at least in part, doesn’t help anyway.
    We all know various people with seemingly odd shopping habits.
    Some elderly folk with bus passes that live in surrounding villages travel into King Street using their bus passes, then catch a bus to Chester or Mold or even further to do their shopping, argument being things are less spread out once getting off the bus, plus its a day out. They prefer this to walking to Eagles Meadow for M&S etc, maybe the ShoppaHoppa was more useful than realised.
    More often than not they treat themselves to a few pints and something to eat or at least teas/coffees. All good for shops and pubs and cafes in Chester, and the bus strip is paid by WAG for people to spend in England.
    Maybe trips to destinations outside Wales shouldn’t be part of their bus pass, or maybe it all helps the bus companies keep fares down.

Then there are ( usually ) younger people but oldies too that are lucky enough to have cars but seem to feel paying to park when shopping or visiting the cinema is outrageous. They will rather spend the money on fuel and visit the cinema at Cheshire Oaks with free parking, and to make the most of the trip perhaps do some shopping at M&S, ASDA and the outlet village plus have something to eat.

There will always be those that like a daytrip somewhere different but the planners that incorporated chargeable parking at Eagles Meadow reduced the attraction of a visit, even before considering several negative incidents of penalty tickets publicised which also deters people.
    I haven’t a clue how these things are put together so far as incentives to locate, but surely Debenhams, M&S, the Odeon etc must have realised a chargeable car park puts them at a disadvantage, and the eating establishments even more so. A free car park should have been insisted upon.

Even within the small group of people that I am aware of, there is no doubt Eagles Meadow and Wrexham town centre – is that the right order of importance these days – are both losing out because of the parking costs compared to other destinations.

On a sunny day for instance you can take the kids to Llandudno and park in the street for 90 minutes without charge, that pays for ice creams if nothing else. There are always plenty of shoppers milling about. You can’t compare Wrexham to Llandudno I suppose but everytime I walk around Wrexham town centre there are less and less shops, and less reasons to justify paying a high parking charge. Might as well just go to TESCO and ASDA instead.

WMBC should seriously think about attracting the shoppers that like to like to have a walk around, have a coffee with a cake and not just sit in the house ordering everything from Amazon !

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Two former North Wales Police officers to be barred from policing after misconduct hearing

News

Navigating the World of Online Dating!

News

Drop in number of Welsh-medium pupils in Wrexham blamed on lockdown

News

Free prostate cancer blood tests as local group share how to get a PSA Test

News

Council say “time to look at future” of Queensway trees due to ‘instability’

News

Popular ‘Coffee and Chat’ Group has launched in Wrexham

News