Councillors to get iPads.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillors to get iPads.

• Author

NJones
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 2188 wrote:

Provide examples.

Examples- I used to do it for them. They got rid of the so called marketing/ design post to save money so the literature never got updated. Then when I was given the job of updating it as an IT person. When I left the secrataries were given the job. We had a big laserjet 8050 which cost around just £1500 to put cartridges in!

Mike Davies
    Participant

@NJones 2192 wrote:

Examples- I used to do it for them. They got rid of the so called marketing/ design post to save money so the literature never got updated. Then when I was given the job of updating it as an IT person. When I left the secrataries were given the job. We had a big laserjet 8050 which cost around just £1500 to put cartridges in!

I would assume Wayne is talking about the large scale printing that all councils provide for public consumption, not in-house literature. This would have to be printed commercially as using a laser printer would be extremely inefficient and also very expensive.

It is true that some council departments use secretaries etc to design stuff for publication. This is not cost effective as they are not familiar with commercial design software and the “designs” often have to be re-originated by commercial print-houses (at extra cost) prior to publication. This also begs the question of who is doing the secretary’s work while they are trying to come up with design ideas etc.

wrexview
    Participant

The Demorcratic Services Committee has voted in favour of going ahead with the purchase of IPads for each of the Council’s 52 members.As many have already thought this may well be the tip of the iceberg as the Council will now also be looking at the provisions for printers for IPads to assist members!

Jamsindahouse
    Participant

“Mr Coxon said alternative options to the iPad were available to members where deemed appropriate, including a small form laptop, and it was also not the case that printing documents was being abolished”

So this will not change anything related to printing costs then will it! :mad:

Add to initial cost of buying the iPads, insuring them, training people to use them and then the cost of printers specially for them.

How is this saving tax payers money during a time of cut backs and public sector redundancies? :confused:

angryShopper
    Participant

@NJones 2146 wrote:

They definitely do not! All the kit gets stored in the basement of the Guildhall building until a disposal company collects it. Some of the better kit gets given to schools.

That’s odd as I know a child of a council employee who has ex-council computers in his house….

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@Mike Davies 2197 wrote:

I would assume Wayne is talking about the large scale printing that all councils provide for public consumption, not in-house literature. This would have to be printed commercially as using a laser printer would be extremely inefficient and also very expensive.

It is true that some council departments use secretaries etc to design stuff for publication. This is not cost effective as they are not familiar with commercial design software and the “designs” often have to be re-originated by commercial print-houses (at extra cost) prior to publication. This also begs the question of who is doing the secretary’s work while they are trying to come up with design ideas etc.

yes large scale stuff. You only have to take a look at your bin day stickers to see that it’s 300 dpi printing and perfectly aligned to see that’s industry standard design software rather than microsoft pub. So either a mac or designed by an outside agency.

when i sais provide examples, i meant an actual example, proper hard documental evidence. Otherwise it has to be classed as only hear’say.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@wrexview 2198 wrote:

The Demorcratic Services Committee has voted in favour of going ahead with the purchase of IPads for each of the Council’s 52 members.As many have already thought this may well be the tip of the iceberg as the Council will now also be looking at the provisions for printers for IPads to assist members!

democratic services? says it all. we voted the councillors in, it’s our fault that we have let them feather their homes with new hi-tech gadgets. We are to blame, we are responsible.

oldboy744
    Participant

@angryShopper 2202 wrote:

That’s odd as I know a child of a council employee who has ex-council computers in his house….

The Council used to sell off old PC’s etc about 15 years ago, but to be honest they were not worth having as they were out of date and often ill-treated. Also, the prices weren’t exactly competitive! NJones is correct; the surplus stock is either refurbished and sent to schools, or stripped for spares.

I think the Ipads will be grossly underused as most Councillors are completely hopelss with IT. If the main usage is going to be for sending/receiving emails, viewing agendas and catching up with the news, then there are cheaper alternatives out there.

Also, the rest of the council uses the Microsoft Office suite and as far as I know Ipads don’t (although I know documents can be converted) so it would have made sense to have machines that are compatible.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@oldboy744 2233 wrote:

The Council used to sell off old PC’s etc about 15 years ago, but to be honest they were not worth having as they were out of date and often ill-treated. Also, the prices weren’t exactly competitive! NJones is correct; the surplus stock is either refurbished and sent to schools, or stripped for spares.

I think the Ipads will be grossly underused as most Councillors are completely hopelss with IT. If the main usage is going to be for sending/receiving emails, viewing agendas and catching up with the news, then there are cheaper alternatives out there.

Also, the rest of the council uses the Microsoft Office suite and as far as I know Ipads don’t (although I know documents can be converted) so it would have made sense to have machines that are compatible.

There is absolutely no reason to use microsoft office anymore… Openoffice is more than adequate and free. 180 per computer next time…. waste of money.

Mike Davies
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 2205 wrote:

yes large scale stuff. You only have to take a look at your bin day stickers to see that it’s 300 dpi printing and perfectly aligned to see that’s industry standard design software rather than microsoft pub. So either a mac or designed by an outside agency.

when i sais provide examples, i meant an actual example, proper hard documental evidence. Otherwise it has to be classed as only hear’say.

I was agreeing with your points Wayne :-) Not sure if the second para was aimed at me to answer though.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Navigating the World of Online Dating!

News

Drop in number of Welsh-medium pupils in Wrexham blamed on lockdown

News

Free prostate cancer blood tests as local group share how to get a PSA Test

News

Council say “time to look at future” of Queensway trees due to ‘instability’

News

Popular ‘Coffee and Chat’ Group has launched in Wrexham

News

“Lovely atmosphere on procession” as Eisteddfod welcomed to Wrexham