Councillors forum panel

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillors forum panel

• Author

wxm
    Participant

The definition and execution of strategic planning is a subject in its own right; focusing on the role of the governors, an internet search first came up with:

Becoming a school governor | nidirect

which as a first reference point is as good a start as any.

Governors should surely be accountable for performance, and if that is impaired by bad policy, then they should hold others to account, by making representations to Welsh Government if necessary, and demonstrating to parents and the wider community what the performance of a school is, what remedial action is being taken (if this is required), and in the case of special measures, monitoring and reporting on a regular basis in public, such as at each half and full term.

wxm
    Participant

I read with interest this morning in the thread “New crossing by Rhosddu Spar” – someone had written to their councillor by email, and not received a reply.

Discussions around Wrexham suggest this is common place. Full engagement by councillors with the community will surely lead to a Wrexham where the real issues are addressed, and we build a much more prosperous place !?!

Will we see a forum where councillors interact in a transparent way with the public, and deal with the big problems that face the community. Whether making democratic representations about our troubled health service, moving our schools out of special measures, making our roads better, providing the most appropriate community services with the money we have available . . .

A number of very valuable issues have been explored through threads on these forums, and with the growing credibility of contributors and facts – it would be very good to see councillors start to respond progressively.

Alunh
    Participant

Some excellent points made above and good info offered (as on School Governors).

I would love to see more direct political engagement via, for example, this forum. I thought it very brave of Isobel Garner to go on Twitter and she is to be complimented for this and it is excellent that Councillor Rogers attends the monthly Town Centre forum meetings.

What concerns me is the points made about Councillors ignoring their Constituents. Though some of this may be anecdotal, we have all had enough experience of the local political scene to be able to evaluate the political Culture of the town/borough. It remains hit and miss and my experience running a business is that it is often, too often, miss.

One of the traditional factors has been the long long one term dominance of Wrexham politics by one political party (until recently). This has meant that in far too many wards there has been no equivalent of what Lord Salisbury once termed the ‘revolving door’ that kept politics fresh.

This leads me back to the Wayneinspain’s point (often made) that we must in whatever way keep applying the pressure. Local democracy needs people pushing and pushing, regardless of reaction

Conde
    Participant

@Alunh 8247 wrote:

This leads me back to the Wayneinspain’s point (often made) that we must in whatever way keep applying the pressure. Local democracy needs people pushing and pushing, regardless of reaction

I couldn’t agree with this point any more that I already do. However it comes down to the local electorate to chose their representatives. All to often it is the same old situation of there’s no fresh people ( my self excluded for that one, I went into an election knowing I was going to be trounced, but my reasoning was that people could have a solid decision on who they actually wanted.)

But there is a really simple solution for this problem, we need more people to stand as candidates in elections, even if it is as an independent.

Even though I’m happily apart of the Welsh Liberal Democrats, I always make the point that I’d rather someone be my opposition than someone who takes no interest at all.

Let me stop the trail of thought for a second and address some pretty fundamental issues.

Time and Money.

If your current councillors are that bad, surely it shouldn’t be difficult to get elected yourselves? After all, it doesn’t matter how much money a councillor or candidate chucks at an election, if they are as poor as the area believes, they won’t get the votes they need.

In terms of time, most of the more essential meetings are at night times, and the rest are pretty much committee meetings only. But we still need a more diverse council, of young people and of middle aged people ( you can make your own boundaries on that one) – and include more women! ( I don’t know if any of you saw my letter in the Leader regarding this? )

wxm
    Participant

I’m sure a number would be prepared to stand, I would suggest people are directing energies elsewhere, you have one life & family and a finite time to get all things done. I have in jest in an earlier thread suggested forming the “Democratic Part for Prosperity”.

Where things probably stand, is that social media is a revolution in almost every walk of life, and we have visibility of what is happening. It sounds as if many council systems are today massively over engineered for what is required – and the first step seems to be that those currently in seat, need to fully engage with the community. Mechanisms already exist for them to provide cost effective solutions for the public. Let’s hear from those who took up the responsibilities first?

Conde
    Participant

@wxm 8287 wrote:

I’m sure a number would be prepared to stand, I would suggest people are directing energies elsewhere, you have one life & family and a finite time to get all things done. I have in jest in an earlier thread suggested forming the “Democratic Part for Prosperity”.

Where things probably stand, is that social media is a revolution in almost every walk of life, and we have visibility of what is happening. It sounds as if many council systems are today massively over engineered for what is required – and the first step seems to be that those currently in seat, need to fully engage with the community. Mechanisms already exist for them to provide cost effective solutions for the public. Let’s hear from those who took up the responsibilities first?

Unfortunately this is something that any person interested in politics hopes to see, but yet we find ourselves in a position where as you’ve pointed out, it’s the same people in and out ( by in large).

But, it’s vital that people make their voices heard and participate in the process.

Seems counter intuitive really “if” I was going to stand again, but it’s not about individuals winning, it’s about giving the electorate a strong selection so that they can have a bit of confidence in who they are actually voting for!

Chris
    Participant

Just checked an both councillors in Llay have only attended 50 % of their meetings since May

wxm
    Participant

“if” or otherwise, it’s all worth saying, and at least we’re talkin about it, with the belief & passion to make Wrexham a better place, and one that is equipped for the people to compete in the current world, and for young people to have the best start.

Defaulting to old committee processes, minutes, and elite rules and processes in public office – have pretty much been blown out of the water. These are the places real life is happening, and since the electorates rational voice is being heard, one way or another, councillors will have a duty of care to act.

wxm
    Participant

Does Wrexham produce a regular report about how the County is performing, what is getting better, what is getting worse, and the work it is doing?

Rob
    Participant

@wxm 8467 wrote:

Does Wrexham produce a regular report about how the County is performing, what is getting better, what is getting worse, and the work it is doing?

This is an interesting read : http://www.wao.gov.uk/assets/englishdocuments/Wrexham_AIR_351A2013_E.pdf

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham man sentenced to 10 years for sexual abuse of child

News

Fleur Robinson to leave role as Wrexham AFC Chief Executive

News

Property Valuation 101: What Every Homeowner Should Know

News

LIVE VIDEO: Andy Dunbobbin WINS Police and Crime Commissioner election

News

Wrexham AFC release retained and released player list

News

Welsh Ambulance Service urges public to protect resources over Bank Holiday