Cost of Consultants.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Cost of Consultants.

• Author

wxm
    Participant

Surely it cannot be a Code of Conduct issue if you are engaging with a genuine cross section of the community who believe the manner in which business is being transacted is wrong. This is 2013.

Arfon Jones
    Participant

@wxm 10378 wrote:

Surely it cannot be a Code of Conduct issue if you are engaging with a genuine cross section of the community who believe the manner in which business is being transacted is wrong. This is 2013.

You would think so wouldn’t you! I wrote to the Chief Executive regarding what I perceived to be maladministration. Had an email back reporting me under the ‘protocol’ for low level complaints. Likewise we raised concerns in Scrutiny about the quality of workmanship by outside contractors and the fact that a senior officer warned a Councillor not to spread the word.

Scrutiny is fine on paper, but its when your scrutiny is such that you start to unearth things and threaten the comfy life of the bureaucracy is when they start to bite back:mad:

wxm
    Participant

Interesting post elsewhere:

It is not generally known, but legislation under the 1972 Local Government Act already makes allowances for the holding of local referendums in the United Kingdom. Until relatively recently, this measure has been little used, but now an increasing number of local communities are starting to make use of it. What’s more it is relatively easy for ordinary voters to set up a local referendum and although at present the result is only be advisory, it does nonetheless serve to let the authorities know just what local people feel on an issue. Below is an outline of the steps involved.

Six voters on the Electoral Register for that Parish (available for viewing at local Post Office) now need to sign a piece of paper calling for a Public Parish meeting on a specified date more than seven clear working days hence. This ‘notice of meeting’ should specify date, time (after 6.00pm), venue, the names of the six, and the business to be transacted at the meeting (ie to call for a referendum on your chosen question). As a minimum the notice should be pinned up at one prominent site in the area.

Notify the Parish Council and the Chairman of the District Council of what you are doing. Tell them that you are acting under Part 3, schedule 12, paragraph 18, subparagraphs 4 and 5 of the Local Government Act 1972. You may well find that if your chosen issue arouses strong feelings locally, the Parish Council will come on board to help with the organisation of the meeting.

For the meeting to be valid, you will need at least ten local voters present. The meeting may be chaired by the Chairman of the Parish council if willing, but this is not essential, as anyone chosen by the meeting can chair it. Whatever else happens at the meeting, you will need to propose a motion calling for a referendum (Parish Poll) on your chosen question or questions. If one third of those voters present, or ten of those present, whichever figure is smaller, call for a referendum, then your District Council is obliged by law to hold one. Note this means that it is actually possible to loose a vote at the meeting, but still satisfy the requirements for calling a referendum.

Go to your District Council and tell them the outcome of the vote at the meeting. Quote the relevant legislation again. They now have between 14 and 25 days to hold the referendum.

Arfon Jones
    Participant

One on the Mayor would be good.

wxm
    Participant

It would be good to propose £10m a year that the Council could stop spending, to quicken resolving the expenditure question. For example, with the size of estate, could £1m be saved on property.

It would also be good to propose a resolution that would lead to greater revenue, for example, going out into the world and finding a business that will employ several thousand people on a site.

zinger
    Participant

I personally feel that the mayor gives events a lift. I have no idea how much money they cost as I have never looked it up. I know that they can have as many as 3 events in a day so they may do a lot of mileage but if it were a choice between having a mayor visiting local events, creating a local feel good factor, as opposed to sending councillors on fact finding missions & having twin towns & paying consultants astronomical amounts of money to tell you something that is common sense then give me a mayor every time.

wxm
    Participant

Putting the debate of the Mayor that emerged in this thread, to one side, the critical subjects of the cost of consultants and scrutiny are important each day, as we need to balance the budget and put money into those who truly need it. How do we put money into the community, rather than bureaucracy …

Chris
    Participant

Going back to the first post it would appear that Wrexham CBC are spending more money on consultants than on the leisure centres.

zinger
    Participant

I just read this quote below posted today on the internet. If this is true, then the WCBC should hang their heads in shame. That money could & should have been spent on improving facilities. This is nothing at all to do with politics just basic common sense. Last night it was mentioned on TV about a council who spent money on consultants instead of improving flood defences & guess what?

“The current Labour-run council spent £882,000 on consultants in the past year, a £332,000 increase on the previous administration”.

Rob
    Participant

@zinger 11020 wrote:

I just read this quote below posted today on the internet. If this is true, then the WCBC should hang their heads in shame. That money could & should have been spent on improving facilities. This is nothing at all to do with politics just basic common sense. Last night it was mentioned on TV about a council who spent money on consultants instead of improving flood defences & guess what?

“The current Labour-run council spent £882,000 on consultants in the past year, a £332,000 increase on the previous administration”.

Quite a big sum – whats the source for the quote?

Does it mean that £552,000 is alright on consultants as the increase & responsibility of the increase is highlighted?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

North Wales MS backs campaign for law to create a smoke free Wales

News

Here is a chance to land your dream job as a rhino keeper at Chester Zoo

News

North Wales university using VR to give students valuable insight into coercive control

News

West End queen packs her running shoes for Llangollen Eisteddfod return!

News

Urgent calls for Welsh Water improvement amid environmental concerns

News

Mental health charity and Chirk café join forces to raise awareness of suicide prevention

News