Chirk

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

Whilst driving through Chirk today I noticed a prominent sign stating they have won the best kept village award again this year from the Wrexham County Borough Council. For a village that has in its midst Kronospan and a Cadburys factory I think that is some achievement.

Sheefag
    Participant

zinger
    Participant

There is a ‘Wales in Bloom’ sign on a road traffic island by a supermarket which doesn’t have single flower on it. Shouldn’t large businesses like supermarkets be encouraged to sponsor nearby roundabout maintenance as part of their community project.

dagg
    Participant

[quote quote=150208].[/quote]

Not like you to be speechless.

bubble
    Participant

I haven’t been to Chirk for a few years so maybe it looks lovely these days.
    Does it still have that horrible smell?

I wonder what the criteria are for best kept village – maybe the award is not based on aesthetics such as blooming flowerbeds and hanging baskets, but more about things like littering? Perhaps it ran on a platform of “ugly but clean”?

Is Chirk nicer than, say, Marford, Hanmer or Overton-on-Dee?

Maybe Chirk is lovely now. But I tend to wonder about the reasons for any of Wrexham council’s decisions, as those decisions do often seem so strange.

Sheefag
    Participant

Chirk is long known as ‘the Sitges of North Wales’. Roman Polanski, Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino all have summer homes there.
    Ingmar Bergman used to be a regular at the Hand Hotel until he sadly passed away. Conversely, Sandy Posey who in 1966, had a no.1 hit single with ‘Single Girl’, favoured the Last Inn in Hengoed and in her later years, went on to be landlady of the Green Dragon in Hightown.
    Edited to add that none of these people however, had any hand in the exploitation of the village of Llay.

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=150259]Edited to add that none of these people however, had any hand in the exploitation of the village of Llay.[/quote]

Are you sure? Maybe Llay should have been the rightful winner of this award?
    I’ve never been to the village of Llay; is it beautiful?

Sheefag
    Participant

It has an innate beauty and glow that can be rivalled only by a handful of places such as Pripyat or Hiroshima post 1945.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

How Bifold Doors Can Transform Your Living Space

News

Explore bellringing and enjoy amazing views of Wrexham with St Giles tower climb

News

Preserve the value of your BBQ with top-quality covers

News

Police and Crime Commissioner election Q&A: Ann Griffith Plaid Cymru candidate

News

Financing a personal vehicle – all of the options explained

News

Balloon spectacular and live acts added to epic line-up at summer festival

News