Another Proposed Supermarket for the Town.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Another Proposed Supermarket for the Town.

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

Do we need another supermarket on the edge of town , with a free car park that leeches more trade from the town centre? There are plenty of big empty shops in the town centre but sadly they lack the one important amenity for a supermarket , free parking !

cmaj76
    Participant

Don’t worry, if Aldi move there then Morrisons will be shut within 12 months

99DylanJones
    Participant

Agree cmaj76 biggest impact would be on Morrisons and other supermarkets – town centre shops should be protected – different type of shopper

Alunh
    Participant

Quite a funny piece of spin in the brief on this Supermarket proposal; the usual crap about the creation of jobs and the functional value of the development to the town. I accept that places like Aldi have an important place in the town’s retail offer and are popular with the customers. But please…..spare me the nonsense. Even the most basic Economics/Marketing text will make the vital point that any business which takes cash across the counter is actually competing for that transaction with other businesses. If there is a winner, there will be a loser. Of course, in Wrexham, this could well be another Supermarket. Given that the proposal is outside the town centre, however, there is likely to be another drag on the town’s vibrancy

AMA Express
    Participant

[quote quote=97378] there is likely to be another drag on the town’s vibrancy[/quote]

Really ? A supermarket’s going to effect the town’s vibrancy ?

Katia
    Participant

With reference wrexview ‘s point about free parking – there was an interesting piece in the Daily Telegraph last Friday – Cardigan council in Wales saw custom in local shops increase by up to 50 per cent after it allowed free parking when thieves destroyed the town’s four parking machines.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/society/11747831/Free-parking-in-town-centres-to-save-the-high-street.html

I don’t actually agree with the media hype about Aldi and Lidl, how anybody can argue they can do all their weekly grocery shopping in them is a mystery. Having tried them out of curiosity I have mostly returned to TESCO, ASDA, Morrisons and sometimes Sainsburys.
    Another ALDI with 50 new jobs is OK with me.

Alunh
    Participant

[quote quote=97380]

there is likely to be another drag on the town’s vibrancy

Really ? A supermarket’s going to effect the town’s vibrancy ?

[/quote]

Yup! Yet another

wrexview
    Participant

Who owns the land they want to build on? Is it in part ownership of Wrexham Council ?

pete
    Participant

I had assumed that the new Aldi would replace the existing one, like when Iceland moved to island green.
    Do the planning documents say that they are keeping both stores?

BenjaminM
    Participant

[quote quote=97400]I had assumed that the new Aldi would replace the existing one, like when Iceland moved to island green.
    Do the planning documents say that they are keeping both stores?

[/quote]

And why would they be likely to do that when Aldi is the fastest growing food retailer in the UK?
    Having recently spent tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds on the Plas Coch outlet, I think your assumption is probably the exact opposite of the likely outcome.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Council say “time to look at future” of Queensway trees due to ‘instability’

News

Popular ‘Coffee and Chat’ Group has launched in Wrexham

News

“Lovely atmosphere on procession” as Eisteddfod welcomed to Wrexham

News

North Wales MS backs campaign for law to create a smoke free Wales

News

Here is a chance to land your dream job as a rhino keeper at Chester Zoo

News

North Wales university using VR to give students valuable insight into coercive control

News