Vibrant and Viable

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Vibrant and Viable

  • Author
    Posts
  • #54490

    99DylanJones
    Participant

    Anybody heard what is happening with all the money Wrexham Council had for a Vibrant and Viable bid from WG. The Leader of the Council said at a Town Centre Forum couple of months ago that local business would be involved yet we have heard nothing apart from they have the money.
    If it is going to be such a big scheme for Wrexham Town then why are retailers not being kept up to date.
    Looks like yet another done deal that will not benefit businesses.

    #67009

    darryl
    Participant

    Vibrant and Viable places went before the Executive Board just over a week ago, but the discussion regarding it in the meeting was pretty brief and was passed quickly. There’s nine objectives in total, including ‘Redefining Wrexham Town Centre’, which apparently includes a “master plan to provide a clear vision for the future development of the town centre in terms of its retail, residential and housing offer.”

    Report: http://www.wrexham.gov.uk/MinutesData/ExBoard/Reports/haed1214.pdf

    We also did a preview piece before the meeting, although it was largely regarding the possible move of the Oriel Gallery from the library to another location in the town centre. There’s been a few rumours about where it will move to, with the Peoples Market being mooted as one possible location. Would be interesting to see how that would work if it did move there!

    Possible Peoples Market Move For Oriel Gallery | Wrexham.com

    #67011

    99DylanJones
    Participant

    Thanks for update but still doesn’t answer the question when will the business people of Wrexham be invited to discuss this scheme which WG insisted should have a multi agency partnership. Or will this be another case of the Council presenting what THEY are going to do with total disregard for the business sector

    #67007
    Alunh
    Alunh
    Participant

    @darryl 12267 wrote:

    Vibrant and Viable places went before the Executive Board just over a week ago, but the discussion regarding it in the meeting was pretty brief and was passed quickly. There’s nine objectives in total, including ‘Redefining Wrexham Town Centre’, which apparently includes a “master plan to provide a clear vision for the future development of the town centre in terms of its retail, residential and housing offer.”

    Report: http://www.wrexham.gov.uk/MinutesData/ExBoard/Reports/haed1214.pdf

    We also did a preview piece before the meeting, although it was largely regarding the possible move of the Oriel Gallery from the library to another location in the town centre. There’s been a few rumours about where it will move to, with the Peoples Market being mooted as one possible location. Would be interesting to see how that would work if it did move there!

    Possible Peoples Market Move For Oriel Gallery | Wrexham.com

    Sounds like an act of desperation to me. Most Government Reports on Markets would seek a coherent strategy. Whilst I see scope for an Arts type of emphasis somewhere within the Market environment, the current People’s Market would not make a sensible destination point. Mismatching of product lines is not the remedy for the problems that this Market has. Lower Rents and complementary products refracted through the prism of the perceived Customer base is essential

    #67012

    99DylanJones
    Participant

    Spoke with someone today who has a market stall in the Peoples Market they have been told to spread their stock to neighboring empty stalls to make it look full- since Monday they had only seen about 5 people a day. Why on earth do the Council think the place is worth keeping open why not move the stalls to the other two markets.
    The prices they are charging at the moment (aprox £1000 month plus service charges £250+) the stall holders may as well link up and take over a proper shop in the High Street and split the costs – it would be cheaper.
    Item link to the Hygiene thread in this site– the stall holders kitchen would get a minus even though the stallholders pay for this in their service charges

    #67010

    Ferret
    Participant

    @alunh 12276 wrote:

    Sounds like an act of desperation to me. Most Government Reports on Markets would seek a coherent strategy. Whilst I see scope for an Arts type of emphasis somewhere within the Market environment, the current People’s Market would not make a sensible destination point. Mismatching of product lines is not the remedy for the problems that this Market has. Lower Rents and complementary products refracted through the prism of the perceived Customer base is essential

    I believe I’ll refract my prism. Isn’t that an old Robert Johnson song?

    #67008
    Alunh
    Alunh
    Participant

    @ferret 12282 wrote:

    I believe I’ll refract my prism. Isn’t that an old Robert Johnson song?

    Steve Vai’s take on an old Robert Johnson song……..

    It’s a line out of the Report Monsieur Ferret. Always give the people in any place what they appear to want at a competitive price with good service. I get the idea that the People’s Market hasn’t normally been marketed as the epicentre of Culture, especially when I traded there. Markets are Markets. Food, more food, Bric-a-Brac, cheap product lines, second hand produce as well as new, good variety, Independent traders

    #67013

    99DylanJones
    Participant

    I see the Council have still not convened a meeting of all interested parties for the Vibrant and Viable funding they have had for the Town — I feel king giving up as clearly another ‘done deal’ behind closed doors with non of the people affected (the businesses) of the town being consulted.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.