New Arts Hub

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum New Arts Hub

• Author

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=105962]It will fail. It’s not wanted, it’s not needed. It’s in the wrong location, and it’s being pushed through as a vanity project that will ultimately be a big white elephant. It’ll kill what’s left of the market, as the arts hub will be promoted and people will forget the market is there.

Ironic, as there is no market for an arts hub. If there were, Glyndwr would’ve set one up at one of their sites, given that they’re home of the arts in town. They haven’t.

It’s as doomed as WH Smith.

[/quote]
    And that is the crooks of it in a nutshell, and despite an online survey suggesting otherwise what most of the ordinary people of Wrexham would say and think …..

Rondetto
    Participant

They can’t fill the units there now, it’s the wrong part of the town. How on Earth can they expect to ever run at a profit or even break even in a place that footfall is almost nil.A cinema? No way!! That isn’t needed.
    Who on Earth has dreamt and agreed to all this nonsense?

ddraig
    Participant

Think the ‘Cinema’ was misreported by the BBC. There is a performing arts space but its a small 100 seat set-up/can also be deconstructed. I would imagine to host events similar to what is currently hosted at Undegun on a regular basis (poetry, comedy, music).

Katia
    Participant

ddraig,
    [quote quote=105919]
    Would you say the same of Wakefield? Very similar demographic.
    [/quote]

ddraig,
    Notwithstanding my being more au fait with Walford and Weatherfield than Wakefield generally – no I wouldn’t agree Wrexham and Wakefield have much in common as an arts destination.
    By chance I watched an interesting BBC documentary recently about David Chipperfield’s restoration of the Neues Museum in Berlin which also featured The Hepworth Wakefield.
    The Calder Valley award winning £35m world class bespoke art gallery is an attraction drawing visitors from Yorkshire and far beyond.
    Though even the Hepworth Wakefield has already been restructured.
    http://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/news/16062015-staff-restructure-at-hepworth-wakefield

One aspect Chipperfield designs very carefully is management of ambient light relating to the art.
    The People’s Market building seems particularly gloomy in this regard.
    I imagine Alan Yentob won’t be paying a visit anyway.

I did like Councillor Hugh’s BBC Wales interview, his suggestion of Wrexham ending up eventually with having more for less – nice nod to Andrea Del Sarto ” The Faultless Painter ” and the The Bauhaus Movement.
    Lets hope he is proved right.

Good post danofthewibble – spot on.

Adam
    Participant

Anyone recall how the Ruthin Arts Centre was cited as positive example by Mark Pritchard last week..?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-35304749

Only one of the 6 workshops are now occupied, the remaining one now considering it’s future…

Katia
    Participant

Last night’s BBC2 Artsnight is available on BBC i-player.
    May be worth watching if interested in the Wrexham Arts Hub…

” Sir Nicholas Serota, director of the Tate, makes a personal journey to one of the most economically deprived areas of the UK, as he dares to ask why contemporary art matters?

In the former steel town of Middlesbrough, Serota encounters a radical experiment by the Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art, as it creatively redefines its mission to better serve the community of Teesside, including its large population of asylum seekers.

In New York, Serota meets artist Mark Bradford, who will represent the US at the Venice Biennale next year. Bradford, an abstract painter, is determined to use his success in the art world to help foster teenagers in the deprived neighbourhood of Los Angeles where he grew up. ”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07bkltd/artsnight-series-3-2-nicholas-serota

99DylanJones
    Participant

Wrexham Council should talk with Denbighshire County Council to find out how much they are now having to subsidise- they are even having to run the cafe as no commercial operator has made it profitable.
    Does not matter how much capital funding is obtained it is the revenue cost to keep the doors open that are the most crucial– I need convincing…

Sheefag
    Participant

Katia, I’ve dedicated a large part of my life to innovative, experimental and acidic pisstaking but pale into bitter and unresolved rank amateteurism compared to the great Sir Nicholas Serota.

More Art is indeed what the most economically deprived areas of the UK are crying out for, Just ask the good people of Port Talbot for example.

Council Watcher
    Participant

Well said people prefer to have a job and support rather than somewhere to go and look at art if they are made redundant.

Sheefag
    Participant

It makes me mad as hell CW when I read about these people and how they really think they are making a difference, it’s the very definition of The Emperors New Clothes.

In the former steel town of Middlesbrough, Serota encounters a radical experiment by the Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art, as it creatively redefines its mission to better serve the community of Teesside, including its large population of asylum seekers.

What radical experiment is that then? Are they going to knock up a few houses or bring some much needed employment?
    Don’t be bloody daft, expect some old flange instead with a limping Asylum seeker, shining light on the societal rejection that transgender Badgers face, via the medium of expressive dance.

These clowns should just take their Arts Grants and stfu whilst leaving real life to the rest of us.

Rant ends.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Firefighting Foam and You: PFAS Exposure and VA Claims

News

Encountered a Car Accident in St. Louis? Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer

News

Smart benches with solar power coming to city centre in regeneration scheme

News

Bring your broken items to Wrexham’s Repair Cafe this weekend!

News

Wales’ dental services at “risk of catastrophic collapse”

News

Whooping cough cases on the rise in Wales prompting urgent vaccine calls

News