How to Reduce the Pressure on the NHS?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum How to Reduce the Pressure on the NHS?

• Author

Whittam12000
    Participant

I live in Wales but work for NHS England. I can categorically say that we have a third world health service in Wales.

Delays related discharging patients back across the border and lack of services available are unreal.

Saying that patients attending A+E because of splinters in fingers and headlice, yes headlice are a major contributing factor to delays in A+E and the pressures the NHS are experiencing. This combined with government cuts in Health and Social Care are what is going to bring the NHS to its knees ready for privatisation.

zinger
    Participant

Time-wasters visiting A & E with head lice and splinters should pay up front.

Council Watcher
    Participant

Basic education on health so that peole dont thank A & E is the dumping ground for all ailments — people should turn up to A & E for splinters or headlice they should take personal responsability and go to a chemist for bottle treatment and their own pair of tweezers – these examples should be turned away ar reception

Whittam12000
    Participant

I totally agree people who waste resources like this should be charged, however I don’t know how it would work without moving to an American system.

We still have to see these people and often they are the ones who kick off for having to wait.

Common sense seems to be lacking in many people these days, #needtotakepersonalresponsibility.

dagg
    Participant

I watched a TV programme the other night, 24 hours in A&E. A woman goes to A&E complaining about a pain in her leg she had had the pain for a couple weeks. After spending a few hours in hospital she was told that she had Sciatica, and she was a ex nurse. she should know better. I have had Sciatica a few time’s and did not find the need to go to A&E.

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=125374]I watched a TV programme the other night, 24 hours in A&E. A woman goes to A&E complaining about a pain in her leg she had had the pain for a couple weeks. After spending a few hours in hospital she was told that she had Sciatica, and she was a ex nurse. she should know better. I have had Sciatica a few time’s and did not find the need to go to A&E.

[/quote]

How could she possibly know that it was sciatica? She was an ex nurse not an ex doctor. Fair enough if you’ve had it before you would recognise it but maybe she hadn’t and was worried it was something more serious like DVT.

The state that some GP surgeries are in doesn’t help, in terms of not being able to get timely appointments. This encourages people to resort to A+E

Whittam12000
    Participant

In fairness a sudden onset of backpain with symptoms of incontinence and loss of sensation, power and pain in the legs could be a sign of a serious condition like Cauda Equina Syndrome, something I have seen many times. However if the symptoms had been going on for weeks an assessment by the GP and referal for an MRI may have been more appropriate.

However that is if you can get an appointment and if you do you are likely to have to wait around 6 months or more in Wales.

wrexview
    Participant

Perhaps Vaughan Gething should read this thread to get some tips on getting better value for the money being given to GP’s.

zinger
    Participant

Perhaps medical students should give an undertaking to work in the NHS for a set number of years after training. A morning TV programme shows a substantial number of people choosing to live down under are nurses.

Davej100
    Participant

[quote quote=125256] And to add insult to injury they named the calamitous Health Board after a Liverpudlian brothel keeper who died of syphilis.

[/quote]

I am interested to know where you get this information as her Wikipedia page doesn’t mention it. In fact she was named as one of “the 50 greatest Welsh men and women of all time”

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Crafting Your Dream Home: Expert Tips for Designing Your Swindon Sanctuary

News

New ‘walking food tour’ of Wrexham set to launch this summer

News

Council Leader would support Rob & Ryan’s 55k seater Racecourse ambition

News

Wrexham woman pays tribute to ambulance crew for life-saving intervention

News

Coffee shop plans for former city centre building society

News

Wrexham MP welcomes mental health funding to tackle repeat offending